Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,870 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Plan on getting a 6' baitcasting rod, to try while pier fishing in the spring, and would like some opinions on a nice, economical baitcasting reel to match up with it. Me been a "long" rod and spinner reel kinda guy but hear that if I can get it down, may be able to add a few yards on the beach, and figure shorter may be the easier route to learning the basics. If all goes well, then maybe get one or two for my surf rods.

Any and all help, comments, opinions and or laughs and hostilities welcome, and thanks in advance.

Have Jeep will travel. :D

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
it depends on what you are doing, but for general fishing its hard to go wrong with a 5500 or 6500 ABU C3

·
Registered
3,387 Posts
The 5500 and 6500 are the standard. There are many flavors of each too (level wind, Ball B earings, etc). The biggest difference in my book is the alarm only on the 6500, for the most part, (I'm sure there must be a 5500 with it but I have not seen it).

·
Registered
4,336 Posts
6 Foot rod?

Shaggy,

I have to let you use my outfit. A St Croix 8' Tidemaster b(1/2-2 oz) and an ABU 6500 CS Mag. The perfect pier rod for casting lures or fishing IRI.

Not cheap however...

Forget about a 6' rod...you can use the extra distance...

·
Registered
51 Posts
At least go with a 7ft. It'll work for bass fishing and slinging Gotcha's off the pier. Any of the smaller Abu's will do.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
now a longer rod and more distance is not always where its at, depending on wha tyou are fishing for. my dad and i primarily use ours to flounder fish, and he has a 5.5 foot rod while i have a six. mush easier to work around th epilings with a shorter rod. i hear tog fishing is more around pilings and i know sheepshead fishing is, so if you are working close to the pier, a shorter rod is better.

·
Registered
4,336 Posts
I got both if you want to try them..

Got a 7' and a 8' conventional setup. Both have Abu reels on them - The 7' is loaded with 12 lb string and the 8' is loaded with 14 lb string. Personally, the 7' is a great bass/pike/musky rod but the 8' is my "go to" rod for throwing lures in the 1/2 to 2 oz range at IRI, the jetty, the piers, and the bay. Both have long cork handles for two handed casting. This is a must if you want to get some distance casting those 2 oz Stingsilvers at schooling stripers and blues!

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
If you're learning to throw a baitcaster, you're right to stick with a shorter rod right now. IMHO, buy a 6' or 7' rod and match it with a Abu 5500/6500 C3 or C4 ($65-$85) or a Daiwa Millionaire($70). Spool your reel with el cheapo line because if you're learning, it's not staying on there that long. :)
Also, I've found it easier to cast 'side-arm' when casting baitcasting rods 7' or less. This is where a shorter rod will help.
If you're on a pier, the 'bent-over-the-rail-underarm-toss' is easier with a < 7' rod. Over 8', then it's a tradtional over the shoulder toss.
I'll swap out my 6500C4 on my 7' to my 9' when I want to toss metal at stripers or macks from the beach. If you go with the Abu, swap out the handle for a power handle. It'll save you some cramped fingers.

·
Registered
8,390 Posts
Shag,I use short rods w/ conventionals as lite tackle boat rods(awesome on flatties and spades...with your occasional hard-heads and blues)Awesome.

But I am with the consensus,I would not go shorter than 7 foot on a pier or surf.

Tica has a few fresh water models out,that were intended for salmon and steelhead fishing:http://digitaldagger.com/freshwater/freshrods.html#tica ,that I am considering on purchasing.

On the high end I am looking @ a Callcutta 400($200.00),like Kenmefish had @ KHD,and a Daiwa Millionare or any Daiwa reel @ the low end($45.00-$70.00)

.The Okuma Classics are a low end Conventinal,also.I have 2 of them on my boat rods.
You can find them @ the same web site.

Hope this helps,ShaG!

Merry Christmas!Don't drink all the CROWN!

AL

·
Registered
44 Posts
Hi ya & happy holidays to all.
My trusty penn930(gold) great real or my Abu 700cs both reall good reels haven't failed me yet.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts