Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi fellas- its been a while for me.Hav a small problem, purchased a diawa slosh 30 from red drum tackle in Buxton,N.C. 2nd week in May havenot had the opp. to throw a whole lot but the reel seams to be exstreamly uncontrolable, I have to tighten it way down to throw 8oz. But I am only getting less than 100 yds with a 14 ft. rod from thereelstuff, Will go to old inlet bait and tackle in DEL. for larger break blocks but I wanted to know have anyone else had this problem?? :) thanks for your responses,TONYQ A.K.A. dcfishman:--->

·
Registered
571 Posts
Hi Tony Q,

Have you tired changing the oil in the bearing? Try using thicker oil to get the reel under control before you take a trip to Delaware for blocks. If that does not work, send me an email and I'll meet with you and check your settings. That rod has another 100 plus yards in it. We also offer free lessons on (DRY) Saturdays if you'd care to join us.

·
Premium Member
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
reel

thanks for response yes would love to meet up w/ the crew have been meaning to come out for a while now but time and weather just would not allow me to make it,are you guys going to meet up in the am??

·
Registered
262 Posts
Hey dcfishman, I have a Daiwa 30 SHV, a Penn 525 mag and an Abu 7500. The Daiwa 30 has been my challenge, too. I have read that guys love em. They hold alot of line; and they have a really loud clicker. I agree that they are really fast. Once I took out the big blocks and put in the smaller blocks. That was a mistake. I put the big blocks back in. I have not used it a whole lot; but when I do, I have the reel tightened down and I am make sure that I put my thumb on the reel at the end of the cast. I am not as consistent with this Daiwa as I would like to be. And when my Daiwa 30 birdsnests; it is usually time to get out the scissors. I should probably put heavier oil in mine and take it out to the nearest football field and give it a sling. Probably several slings. Maybe today!!! Now there's a wonderful idea.:) Hope this helps. Pelican man.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Haven't had that much problem with mine, it does seem to speedup or slowdown with the tempture. I've played with the Abu brakes the large ones and they will slow it down. Now i'm playing with a rocket fuel called liguid grease, that's some thick stuff. A tuned daiwa in the Fall or Winter is going to be a rocket in the Summer.
I trying to find a oil that I can use 2 reds in the Summer with control and then just take a brake out in the Fall.

·
Registered
904 Posts
I have the shv30 and have the red brakes iln it, and have had no problem other than an occassional birds nest. they replaced white (which I took to be the fast ones) with the red to slow it down and as I said I have had no problem and I am one of the ones that love the thing...are the red the slower brakes??

·
Premium Member
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
re-slosh 30

thanks guys for your responses and good ideas i went to Hains point today 6-24 loaded the diawa with a cheap k-mart brand mono 25 pound test and the reel performed without a hitch i guess the larger line size slows it down ,I had been throwing 17# Andy with the diawa 30, although no blowups today, still the distance i am achieving is very much unexceptable for my taste. Need to get to those larger brake blocks so i can switch back to the smaller line size-thanks again for the help guys-- Tony Q.
a.k.a. dcfishman :--->

1 - 7 of 7 Posts