Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
8,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Copied from litter thread...TGIF,I'm glad you brought this up.I noticed th same thing an althoughsome of th trash came from th river with th high tides last week,it was obviously not all from that.
So anyway I like your idea an what I had thought of is maybe we as P&S get together on a specified day an do a adopt a fishing spot.Pen. an south side,one day of clean up of our favorite spot.Maybe do a cleanup in th morning an fish afterwards, a cookout where allowed.Be an excuse to get together any way. Any one think its a good idea?

OK so I didn't want to type that again. ;) Anyway looking for feedback as to how many if any would be interested in participating.What say ye? :)

·
Registered
224 Posts
Whats even more shocking is that it only took you 8 min to respond! :p I know im guilty of littering if pissing in the water counts!!!! All jokes aside lets name a time and a place and do it.

·
Registered
8,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Brandon,why don't ya get up with OtrBnks Man,yall in th same neck of th woods. Anybody else?
:confused:

·
Registered
290 Posts
I’ll sign in, would like to put some faces to some names. A fish and a cold one, I’m there.

Its baseball season so I need a time and a date to be sure I can make it. My boy talked me into coaching again this year!

What do ya think about bringing kids? Probably be a good experience for’em.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
as far as the cookout part goes, little island would be good, but im not sure that trash is a big problem there.

P

·
0 Posts
Not sure about that suggestion. City involvement would mean having to stick to a schedule, designationing a spokesperson and that person being willing and available for the required training sessions. Surely there are tips and procedures that would be of benefit. It just would kinda take the "we want to do this ourselves" out of it all together.

Hard enough to keep a planned date and time for fishing as it is. Is this something that us spontaneous anglers can commit and then adhere to, no matter what may come up? Not sure bout the afterwards onsite cookout and angling possibility there either. Surely there will be rules to follow. The equipment pickup and return has to be considered too.

Not a bad concept though. Not sure if going thru this channel is ideal for anglers. Maybe for those who just admire seeing nature kept at it's best. But me personally, I like doing things at my own pace---that's the stuff that makes for a good angler.

A big plus with going thru the city would be having P&S given recognition for having members who gladly take on the task of helping keep the environment safe and clean. A plaque placed on site would be good. After all, sand flea has nothing but time on his hands. Might be a good way to give back to sand flea with the possible hundreds of new members that might come aboard. This will be a good way to keep him busy. ;) Surely he's up to the task. Nothing like dedication.

Just my couple cents worth. Am I due change?

·
Registered
73 Posts
I do believe that we should not create a giant job for someone. It would be good for us to keep it all very casual. We could focus quick clean up efforts around current hot fishing spots to benefit after working party fishing time. I think if we all like to frequent a certain spot at a certain time that we should just agree to meet and do a little clean up. This is just a small thing we can all do to preserve what we have left.

I think the picnic idea is great. I know people are busy. I work myself a regular 62 to 72 hours a week so spare time is rare for me.

"Take nothing but memories & fish. Leave nothing behind."

Thank God I Fish

·
Registered
59 Posts
Talked the park ranger at colonial parkway this morning. He said that it only gets done twice a year , once by them and once by the guys at Cheatam Annex. I think that would be a good place to start.Someone suggest a date in the future and lets go from there. He also said that we fisherman get blamed for a lot of the trash that's left behind by the tides. but it's still a problem.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Long time lurker. Haven't posted in a great while. I would be pleased to help out. I always try to fill up one bag with trash from an area before I leave.

Max

·
Registered
16 Posts
I'd be up for a clean up and picnic, as long as the city of Virginia Beach isn't involved. When is the last time they did anything for a surf fisherman. As most of us do we police our own area as we fish. I to would enjoy putting faces to names. Just when we start talking about the city :mad: , I guess if I was a tourist or a boater,or a beach land owner it would be different, the way I see it as far as the city goes we don't mean s**t to them!!!!!!!!!. I'm going to say one more thing in closing, If the events take place this year at lesner bridge like last year, be prepared to lose that spot, because we all know who will win that battle!. These are just my opinions, take them or leave them.

Surffisher

·
Registered
885 Posts
Advisor is on board for the south side and maybe the peninsula if someone will tell me how to get there.
In reading the posts, I get the general feeling that most people would prefer to keep this within the P&S group and not let it get too crowded. I agree. If we can get 10 fishermen there at any one place, we can do a lot and I'm sure the others will notice. I do think we should find a way to keep this effort on the top of the P&S bullitin board so it's on everyones mind.
Heres an idea ... someone make up a small poster that says who cleaned the area, why and a request that others help keep it clean. We can leave the poster at each site for a couple of weeks or a month and then one of us could take it down when we're fishing. Whad'dya think?
So far as a cook out, I'll do anything for food!!! [When ya meet me you'll know why
:eek:
Bill

·
Registered
73 Posts
My wife owns a company called Eye Design Grafx. She designs Logos, Packaging, Ads for Magazines & can Design Signage. I think she would consider designing a sign an honorable thing to do for the Pier & Surf guys. I would need to get a hold of some artwork from pierandsurf.com & or get authorization to copy artwork from the website. If we could get some ideas from this board on what it should look like we can roll with it. Perhaps the guys that run this website have something we can get started with? I am certain the Parks & Rec people would have no problems with us puting up a sign. I also think we should avoid any city government participation.

"Take nothing but memories & fish. Leave nothing behind"

Thank God I Fish.

·
Registered
8,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for th replies,OtrBnks Man,has taken th bull by th Horn for TCC,Thanks.I'll take Indian fields,I talked to a couple Park Rangers today an they gave me a # for th PR guy for th Parkway.Gotta get a permit an find out th rules an what not.Now do we want to do a group clean up at one spot ie. Indian Fields one weekend,TCC another etc. or coordinate doing a bunch of spots one weekend?Less travel for th second option but I'm open for whatever.

P

·
0 Posts
Another suggestion: Placing a sign in these areas may not be lawful. Someone needs to check into that. Possibly you can pull a few strings "Advisor" and get the info from city hall in your city on the rules for placing signs in such places.

Other than that, there should be no problems. Might want to take some of the final planning to Private Messaging though.
You know the city has ears like a hawk. Don't need them swooping down at the last moment and putting a damper on things.

Responsible adults can handle this. Without kids participation there are less risks of anyone getting injured. Let the young ones tend to the rods and reels while the adults do the actual cleanup tasks.

·
Registered
8,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Spoke with th guy at th Parkway HQ and he will get back to me next week.Will post after I hear back from him.

·
Registered
885 Posts
CDog, So far as where to clean up and getting together, I would suggest that we get together at one spot at a time. That way we can work as a group, get to know each other faster and get more done. No matter where we start, someone is going to haf'ta drive a distance. I'd say, lets make a list of spots that need our help and then do northside one time and south side tha next.

Thank God I Fish *** Your idea of a "SIGN" is great. What I really had in mind was just a 8 1/2 X 11 sheet that could be stapled on a tree [or whatever]. I think we should KISS this as much as possible. I'll go with the group on that one.
I don't think any of us are looking for recognition for the P&S group. I, for one, am looking to do something that will benefit the fishing and environment and maybe get others to do the same. It'll be nice to put a face to some of these names too. {And EAT< EAT< EAT!!!!} :eek: :eek:
Bill

1 - 20 of 30 Posts