Pier and Surf Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went out to LIP on Saturday because the wife was having a get together with some other ladies. Rather than spend the day inside with 12 women making girl talk for 6 hours, I decided to brave the cold for what I fully expected would be a day of tying one knot and cutting one piece of bait. Turned out it was less than that. I tied one knot, and picked up a piece of fresh cut eel that someone had dropped on the pier, so I never even actually cut any bait. Fished from about 12 - 2:30, not so much as a nibble. Was less windy and warmer than I expected it to be. There were five other people out there with me, no one caught anything while I was there.

One thing I have always disliked about this pier. I don't know what it is about the locals/regulars but they look at you like you are trespassing on their turf. One of the two guys fishing the end of the pier walked within 5 feet of me and just completely ignored me when I said hows it going. Another kid who was out there with us carried a small tackle bag past the white line. There were a total of 4 people standing out there and one of those guys felt it necessary to tell him to move his bag behind the line. I mean seriously, no one is catching fish, there are 4 people in a 200 square foot area and you have to try and correct someone to let them know you are at home and they are just a visitor. I will never understand why people feel the need to act like that.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Forgive them bro. It was cold out there. Also, there was a serious case of arseholitis going around. :D

Seriously though, I know what you mean. Gives you the serious "I want to punch you in the face" feeling.

·
Registered
2,467 Posts
I've had the opposite experience with the LIP. About 10 years ago I fished the pier quite a bit, but this past summer is the first time I really tried pin rigging. I got out there when the pier opened, and left when they shut it down, never had a problem. Later in the day I thought I'd have some trouble since I didn't have a whole lot of experience throwing a heaver, and there were 11 pin rigs set up on the end!! I couldn't have been more wrong. Everybody was helpful, gave me tips, and I had a great day even though the only take down there all day was Newsjeff who caught a bluefish with a bluefish. Spent the rest of the day catching blues, and had a blast. I know there were at least a half dozen guys from this site out there that day, and they all seemed cool to me. I can see how some people could get upset sometimes, because it gets so crowded out there. It would be awesome if they would put a T on that thing. I don't know, it's fun to me out there. Set up a pin rig and hang out under some umbrellas shooting the crap and talking about knots and what not. I'll probably be out there a bit more this year since it's the closest pier to my house. Couldn't get around as much as I wanted this past year because of transportation issues.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I must just be going on the wrong days, it is really quite a long drive from my home in downtown Norfolk. So I don't get out there much. But I have never had an experience down there that I would call welcoming.

·
Registered
8,390 Posts
Another kid who was out there with us carried a small tackle bag past the white line. There were a total of 4 people standing out there and one of those guys felt it necessary to tell him to move his bag behind the line.
The rules are posted for a reason. I'd hate to trip over anything or accidently hook a tackle bag at the end of that pier.

I have fished that pier and never had a sour experience. Some of the regulars sometimes need to see your face and fish with you more than a few seasons to 'warm' up to you.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Them guys is ridiculous

It is like that all the time out there, them guys are ridiculous. Out of the 25 or so regulars out there there are about 7 DUDES that think they own the pier and treat everyone that crosses that magical white line as if that person is invading their private property. Guess what everyone you pay (during the season) to fish on "THE PIER" whether it is on the way to the end or on the end. You do not need an invitation to join the crowd on the end. Just abide the respectful signs and fish. If the folks do not want to talk to you, that is their problem, and their loss you may have some great suggestions for them.:--|

The majority of the problem "Locals" as you say involve mass amounts of alcohol... and they get past the fishing action and fall back into the "Proving who is boss action". Sadly as the saying goes "It takes one bad apple to spoil the bunch", I know quite a few of the folks out there and have not had difficulties with any of the ones I have ever met, but in today's society this type of behavior is unfortunately the norm it seems. Sorry for your bad experience, but please do not let one day be the expectation for the year to come. Take Care and please come back. :)

·
Registered
531 Posts
AS you have probably seen i am a regular out there. I will not make excuses for people but almost everyone i know out there is a great human being. The guys that go up there and drink excessively are not the locals. The locals just go up and may have one or two but thats it and we are not roudy. The reason for keeping the bags and other stuff behind the white line is saftey. When the heavers are being casted out their is a slim chance that it would get hit and possibly thrown off the pier. During drum season and i know a lot of you that have seen this happen but you dont want to see an 8 to 10 ounce weight hit someone in the head its not going to be a pritty out come. Just seeing one hit the pier railing ant pritty seen many rod holders just get smashed to threads.

Im telling ya we arent mean people just go down and come talk to us i promis ya youll be welcomed unless your one of the drunk guys. But you probly arernt.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.