Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Fished from 11-2. Caught 4 puffers and a handful of bluefish. 2 skates were caught on cut mullet and a ray was caught on my puffer rig. Tried to hand line it, too heavy. Line popped in the middle of the rig and shot up like a bullet across the back of my hand. Sliced the middle knuckle of my middle finger and stung something fierce. Just missed a faceful of line as well. Oh yeah. The snag is alive and well, dead center. I think a skate dropped my rig off in it. Punk!

·
Registered
256 Posts
hey shoeless, you might try a little of your own red blood on the cut bait for puffers. maybe the skates won't like it as much. did you toss any metal at the blues today, or stick with the gotchas? get any with decent size?

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Tried metal for a bit, but the bite was sporadic so I tried different stuff. Size was the same as yesterday.

·
Registered
300 Posts
The blues are something else! They remind me a lot of catching bass, except they dont fight quite as good, and no ariel stuff like Bass.

I saw a guy get bitten while trying to remove a hook from the side of a Blue that got snagged on his line. That damn thing tore up 3 of his fingers pretty bad - the middle finger almost to the bone and bleeding terribly. The blues were biting so good though that the guy tuffed it out and caught about 10 more before going to get stitched up. Moral of the story - watch those chompers!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts