Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went to the talk on flats fishing at the fishing expo. One of the points made was that you don’t need to worry about line twist with braided line and they recommended not using swivels!
I use braid but I always use at least one swivel.
Are swivels needed with braided line?

·
Registered
4,408 Posts
I use a swivel with my braid to connect the mono leader to the main line. Braid is wonderful for flats fishing, especially down here when you want to make long casts to spooky fish. Usually#15 or #20 Powerpro or Spiderwire Stealth is the way to go. You could just tie an Albright knot to connect the two and do just fine. You're not going to get that same line twist in braid. At least, it's never happened to me.

·
Premium Member
10,102 Posts
Fish Bait,I fish the shoals and reefs down here in Hatteras often with fireline for drum,and trout,other species as well. Caught drum over fifty with it,didn't have a swivel on it then. Had a 18" leader,50#test,with a bimini tied to the 20#fireline and a 6 wrap noname knot to attach the 50.. I use this rig frequently when sightcasting for drum.. For the trout I use 6 diameter fireline attached to 20#flouro with a double uni,same for spainish and bluefish.. I never use a swivel unless I'm flounder fishing or bottom fishing for yrling drummies with it,even then the swivel is attached to the leader not the fireline... ;)

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Emanuel & Drumdum, that’s good to know, I think I’ll do without the swivels on my lite gear for casting lures.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts