• Other

Votes: 7 30.4%

• Total voters
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I just picked up a SL30SHV and mated it to a 10' TICA (rated 2-6).
Before I spool it up, I want to get some input on line that you all like to use on these size reels.
I will be fishing in waters with very little structure (i.e. rocks) but occassionally will hoist it on a pier. So I'm looking for suggestions on what's worked for you. I'm considering knot-tying strength/ease, cost, flex, casting and durability. Also, I'm avoiding braided lines in case I decide to dance in the congo line with boys at the Point (but I included some in the poll anyway). I target will target striper, blues, drum and this brown fish that seem to get people excited.

Thanks in advance for the advice.

·
Registered
8,022 Posts
C2H&G, I cut my teeth on BBG but have been using Momoi lately. Its nice line but th HI Vis aint so high. After finishing this spool I'll go back to th BBG. I also tried th Suffix an although many will disagree with me I wont use that line again.

·
Registered
3,387 Posts
Depends on wether you want Hi-Vis or not. My Favorite Mono is probably P-line followed by Sufix Tritanium(the superior is just to soft). I'm trying out Iron Silk which I'm liking alot. The Yozuri can stay in the store as far as I concernded. BBG is a good all around line which I will use if it is the best available. Ande is good line, I used it for years, but I think there is better out there. Braids are just too expensive for conventinals because I will blow it up sometime or another, although I have one rod I will probably load with Spiderwirestealth and run with no shock.

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Lond ago I started using Stren,but wasn't getten enough distance out of it so I heard about Ande and liked it very much used it for about three years and than found out about Trilene Big game and haven't looked back since. I use Ande for my shock leaders and will never change,oh ya I'v tried braided one time before but won't ever use it again:p :p

·
Registered
500 Posts
My first choice is the Sufix Tritanium Plus followed by Big Game. I have not had any problems with either line and Sufix has a new hi vis color out this year. 17-20 test should fit the bill just fine, whatever you decide on.

·
Registered
4,329 Posts
Had been using Trilene Big Game on all my large conventionals for years and switched last year to YoYuri Hybrid. It is a very tough line but does not lend itself to increased casting distance.

This Spring while fishing IRI in the freezing cold with Husky, I had switched over to Trilene Inshore. Good castability, knot strength, and very supple. Just bought a couple of jumbo spools of the 20 and 15 lb test. This is my line of choice for this year's fishing in the surf, pier fishing, and casting lures at IRI. ;)

Don't even use Trilene Big Game for making shockers and leaders anymore either. Went with Jinkai spooled leader material in 50 (shock and leaders), 80 (heavier shockers for B8-N-8) and 100 lb (snelling hooks) test.

·
Registered
8,390 Posts
17 lbs red or yellow suffix.I have never had any problems with that line.Almost no memeory at all,and I love the vibrant colors.....:D

1 - 8 of 8 Posts