Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a brand new ABU 6500 C3CT- MAG setting here in the box and I need to put it to work.What size and type of line would you suggest running on it for the surf. i am not used to reels this small and I am not sure what I want to put on it.Ive got a spool of 15# Yo Zuri lieing aroud here some where.Down here I might get all that took away from me ( get spooled ) but I might try it anyway.I am thinking of putting it on a new 10 foot okuma Solarus that is on the way.

·
Registered
303 Posts
THEGAME,

15 # line is probably about as large as you would want to go, Yo-Zuri is very good line.
The diameter of what you have is most likely around .35 mm, and putting it on hand leveling you should be able to get ~250 yards, plus have room for 10 yards of 50# shock leader.

So, now if you hook something that takes you to the bottom of the spool, and your knots are sound, that means you will have 245 yards of line out that stretches 15% or so, 245 *1.15 = 281.75 yards, plus 10 yards of shock leader, so that's around 300 yards plus the 5 you still have on your spool.

In most places on the beach, you will get the fish, as long as it all holds together. If not, you probably would not have gotten the fish anyway, IMHO.

Good luck,

Blaine :)

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the suggestion.I had thought of putting some 30 or 50 # braid( 8 to 12# dia. ) on it but i was not sure if the drag would hold up well enough to get the good out of that size line.Wouldn't want to smoke it.So I guess i will make use uf some of this line I have stockpiled around here. It is Yo Zuri Hybred.Those jacks and big tarpon down here can run off some line before quik can get ready.
thanks again.

·
Registered
7 Posts
i had a bad experience wth braid line..it dug a deep line mark into my alum. spool..im not sure ..maybe it was because it was a cheap reel...but the person at a reel repair store advised me to stay away from braids..and told me about the same horror story about what they can do to reels.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Hey Pierboy. I was wondering if you started the line spooling with mono .Put a few layers on Mono on the spool first then tie the braid to that with say a double uni knot. Then finnish filling the spool with the braid?
Just wondering.

·
Registered
46 Posts
smokin drag

You may want to look into smoothie or extreme smoothie replacement drags for your ABU. ABU isn't known for its drags but the smoothies are supposed to be the answer. I have them on mine but haven't had the chance to test them.
John

·
Registered
7 Posts
thegame,,,..i bought the spiderline..and just filled my spool..it was quite a few years back when i tried it.. prob. when the spiderline first came out...and they didnt tell me anything about adding mono first..but interesting.. the reel repair place adviced me not to use braid..based on the problems they have encountered and i just spoke with them a few days back....i really dont know myself..but ..for me..maybe ill just stick with mono / copolymer type line...i have another spinning reel that has a gash mark under the casting arm...i noticed that the line didnt go back to its proper place after i casted,, and in time it caused the little gash...its kinda annoying now..cause after i cast.. the line always goes into that groove and i have to move it back to its place..i never used braided line on that particular reel either,,so i guess you can see how i kinda have a fear with using braided line ..maybe ill get over it..and try it again sometime..i just remember how great my casting distance improved while i was using braid on my other reel.:D

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well you know braid has almost not stretch. So it does not hold well when tied on a spool with say an arbor knot. The mono grips the spool better. Sometime the whole spool of line will spin on the spool if you don't put some mono on first.

·
Registered
627 Posts
THE GAME - well, the line concerns on your 6500 size reel have been answered, and quite well.

Though by your own admission you're not comfortable with smaller reels, so just curious, why not consider a different reel?

I happen to like the Abu 5500's and 6500's for a variety of fishing from the surf, but I'm rarely fishing for speedsters, or better yet, bigger speedsters. If I was, I believe I'd get a reel with enough line capacity to eliminate having to think about that part of it. Just a thought.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Bigwillj
I am going to give this reel a try out. I bought it because of the price and its reputation for being a long caster.. I used to use simular reels bass fishing back in the 70's and early 80"s except they were 4500 c reels.Most of these posted questions I already have an answer to.But I like to hear other peoples thoughts, from other parts of the country, on the subjects. And it helps get opinions out where others can view them and learn from them. That is what these message boards are for.The surf fishing down here seems to be a little different than on the eastern coast. Its seems that we , down here on the texas coast, are geared more towards larger higher line capacity reels.I have never caught a saltwater striper or a blue fish before so I don't know just how much line they are likely to run off.We have a few species that seem to be on steroids. LOL We have the jacK Crevalle. He is a bad dude if you hook a big one.He is good for nothing but fighting and shark bait.We have an abundance of tarpon in the summer and fall.They can pull some line too.We also have some pretty hefty bull reds that can get pretty scrappy.
I like to listen to other people ideas from all over and try to learn from them.
Oh yea,
I am putting 150 yards of 30# Power Pro in the reel as a backing/running line. Then finnish filling it up with a top shot of 17# trilene XT. as a casting fishing line.I just happened to have the 17 line and need to try to use it up.
Good Luck guys.

·
Registered
52 Posts
TG - One problem with using braid as backing with a top shot of mono. If you fight large fish, the mono will stretch and can compress the braid backing into some pretty contorted shapes. This will throw the spool out of balance. If your reel starts screaming at you this may be the cause.

Dan

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks,FisherDan
I'll keep that in mind.
How do you set yours up?
I got the reel spooled up and mounted on the rod.Man will this thing cast.Being unfamiliar with the reel I set the manetic drag as high as it would go and the spool tension with just barely if any drag. With just a medium+ overhead cast with a 3 oz weight it will scare the heck out of 100 yards.I just hope this line will be big enough.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts