Pier and Surf Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
looking for some info on line for surf and pier fishing.

what are some of your choices for mono?

is 15 or 16 lb test sufficient in most instances?

if a rod says it is rated for 20-40 lb line is there a negative aspect to using say 15 lb on the light side and 50 lb on the heavy side?

for a once in a while fisherman is it worth the extra money to go with something other than mono?

is there a preferred color for different areas?

one more and i will go back to sleep, if you could have one set up, sorta of a do it all rig, what would it be, rod length, type of reel and line. (a compromise rig):popcorn:

gosh, i sound like a brain sucker, thanks for any info.

·
Registered
5,796 Posts
For most inshore uses, yes 15 is usually plenty. I prefer 17 or 20 so I don't have to worry about a shocker when snap casting 3-4 oz of weight.

The rod line rating is more to match reels to it, than what line you can use on it. 15 on a 20-40 rating should be fine.

I like Sufix Tri+, Momoi, and a few others. I much prefer the high end lines.

A lot of people like braid, but mono works fine and isn't as much.

I like a clear or light color for just bottom fishing, but when there are bigger fish involved like drum, I like the green so I can see a hit moving left to right and not just pulling away to make the clicker click. You'll find your favorite after a while of using them.

One setup would probably be a 9' spinner, a reel holding 200 yards of 17 (though 15 would be fine and you'll get a bit more line), that will load with 3 and 4 oz. Typically rated 1-5 or 2-6 oz.

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
15-20# is usually sufficient for pier fishing. For lighter action bottomfishing or plugging I'll even drop down to 12 or 14.

I generally go with clear or blue mono because it's the easiest to get around here, but I also like red or hi-viz green. I'd say for an occasional fisherman stick with mono. JMHO.

The rating on the rod marks two things as far as I can understand it. The lower end is where you can no longer apply the necessary action without breaking the line and the upper end is where you risk breaking the rod before you break the line. Now with that said, I routinely use 15-17# line on my OMCP which is rated for no less than 20 and it works fine. So maybe the line rating is just a way of gauging the rod's action.

As far as a compromise setup, I'd take a 525 Mag loaded with 14-17# on a 10' OM 4-8oz casting rod.

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
I use 17lb on my pier and surf set ups. 20Lb on my in shore and light off shore boat set ups.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.