Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi all,

changed the line on my spinner today from some HEAVY stuff that came on it to 15 lb trilene big game thinking it would help my distance and line handling. when i went down to take some practice casts and the line was wrapping around the guides on a few casts. i did make my longest cast yet ~120yds, but i ended up breaking off the lead when the line caught again later.

what i have is: 10' daiwa sealine-x 1-5 oz rated, jarvis walker 5500 reel, 50 lb shocker and i was tossing 3 oz.

any info on what causes the tangles would be helpful, it seemed to happen when i was trying for more power.

thanks
jerry

·
Registered
8,022 Posts
Did you overfill th spool? Only time I had a problem like that was when I overfilled one time. But that was before I used bigger reels. Good luck on th quest. :)

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks Cdog, i did fill it very full, may trim off 25 yds or so before my next practice run.

jerry

·
Premium Member
241 Posts
hanging on guides

J.B. Hello this is just my 2 cents but I have noticed that when my cast is not smooth and I end up jerking the cast instead of a smoothed out cast, thats when I end up with the line wrapped a round my guides, So what i have been doing is exstending my drop to give the rod more load so i lead/drop about 10 inches from my reel seat and this seems to serve me well--once again I will say not a cure for all just my 2 cents--but try it ! It worked for me/ buy the way I allways crank my shock leader on the spool 4 times and do my drop 10 inches from the reel and thats how long (MY) shock leader is.--GOOD LUCK Tony Quander(dcfishman) :)

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
tony, i am using a longer shockleadr than that, so i may try to use more drop like you suggest, thanks.

longranger, i did notice it hanging more often when i try to throw harder, so i'll just have to keep practicing. i am using 3 oz on a rod rated 1-5 oz will a heavier lead make a big difference or should three load it decent? i would say that i am not really loading the rod up fully, but not sure exactly what feel i should be getting at that point.

I think i'll go toss a few since i have an hour to kill.

cheers
jerry

·
Registered
58 Posts
hi jerry,

if lowering the line level doesnt work it could be one of two things?

the line could be badly twisted which would make it wrap a guide? this is more noticable with lower dia lines because they are limper. try threading your line through the guides then taking the end of the line in your hand walk about 80-100yds of line off. drop the line, go back to the rod and wind the line back on while running it between finger and thumb, this will push the twists out.
i do this after each cast in a tournament but if you do it after every two or three fishing sessions it should cure the twist problem.

if that doesnt work then its probably the way your casting? when you cast easily everything stays on the same plane and the cast goes away without any problems but when you start hitting the rod harder you tend to come more through a more vertical plane at the end of the cast. this causes the rod to twist out of line slightly so that when you release the cast the rod goes sideways as well as forwards creating a big slack loop of line that is just looking for something to wrap around.

regards peter :cool:

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks

for the replies, i'm working on it!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts