Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just ordered a 525mag what line should I put on it.

Have a Abu 9000C . What line should go on this reel?

Been using 14# Suffix on my Abu 6500's with good results.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Fish finder with 8-n-bait for any thing that will bite. Want the most distance, but able to controll. I have been using 14# Suffix Tri-plus with no problems on Abu 6500 Elite(no mags).

·
Registered
577 Posts
Gravedigger,

I would opt for 0.35mm on the 525 & 0.40mm on the 9000.

There are some lines out in the shops that measure up much smaller.

Just something to think about. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
193 Posts
Sufix 14lb.

Have used the red 14 for several years on the t-mag 525, and never had a problem. The new floro. yellow is a great line for night fishing, but you'll get cut off by blues during the day if they are around. The key here is do not overfill the spool. Also if using the slidey, a thicker lube in the bearings helps. But have always used yellow RF in mine without a problem, but I do use the knobby, instead of the slidey. If you intend to fish crowds, which I avoid like the plague, to up a size to 17lb. Good knots and the correct drag setting which changes constantly during the battle will put a fish on the beach everytime. Just wish they would formulate a black color. Ultima Northern Rock 25lb. cannot be beat on the larger reels. But not going to pay the price any more to get it over here.

KT

·
Registered
577 Posts
Hi Tom,

I'm playing around with a 60lb 0.40mm mono on my 75CT's, my only concern is the small diameter getting a nick in it. :(

You're right with the thinner lines don't over-fill the spool, though that will reduce the cranking ability.

Led.

·
Registered
193 Posts
14lb. .35mm red is one of the toughest lines that I have used. A bit slicker, and far more resistant to nicks, than 15lb. big game plus a higher breaking strength lb. for lb. than the big game. During drum season changing the line daily if nicks do occur is a small price to pay if you are after a trophy fish. My largest fish was caught last year a couple of miles north of ramp 34, (81lbs.) on 14 lb. red sufix. Another thing that I have found that if you buy in larger spools the line tends to be a bit less kinky when you do respool. Many variables, but I tend to use whan works for me and I don't have to worry about losing a trophy of a lifetime, due to poor quality line. But then again the world is full of spin doctors, and I guess the best thing is find what works for you, and stick with it until it changes.

Battened down and riding it out,
KT

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The general consenses is use the same 14# Suffix Tri-plus on the Penn 525 mag and the Abu 6500's but the 9000 is still up in the air. I'm leaning towards 17# Hi vis so it can be used on the Penn also if needed.

Sound ok

1 - 9 of 9 Posts