Pier and Surf Forum banner
41 - 49 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
There are no "feelings" involved, just the facts.
It can, and will be corrected and made to work properly so I'll keep, and use it.
I wish everyone else the best of luck with theirs.
I'm just disappointed in the fit of a critical component on this one.
I sincerely hope I got the only black sheep of the bunch, but I'll not buy another one.

Cheers

·
Registered
353 Posts
I own 3 and can say they have performed with no issues for 2 years.

Any time a product is somewhat mass produced there is bound to be someone who runs into an issue. Whether it is Penn Fathom, Akios etc. I am sure you can find people out there who have issues with just about every reel.

I am just bummed the weather is turning cold.

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
So I took one of my ABU 7000's apart and am gluing a mag in to the left side side plate as I type.

This 7000 is 30 some years old, it has CT Bar from BlackDog in the UK. ABEC 7 Ceramic Bearings and Smoothie Drag Washers and I may load it up with 8 strand Braid and hit the Secret Spot on the OBX.

Will check back tomorrow with spin times for this ABU 7000, it cast nice before, if it is better now I will mag another 7000.

Played around today in the front yard with another 30 some year old ABU Ultra Mag, it is nice and smooth with bright orange Chinese 20 pound test 8 Strand Braid, I am really impressed, not issues at all yet.

DrumPro BraidMan

·
Registered
353 Posts
So I took one of my ABU 7000's apart and am gluing a mag in to the left side side plate as I type.

This 7000 is 30 some years old, it has CT Bar from BlackDog in the UK. ABEC 7 Ceramic Bearings and Smoothie Drag Washers and I may load it up with 8 strand Braid and hit the Secret Spot on the OBX.

Will check back tomorrow with spin times for this ABU 7000, it cast nice before, if it is better now I will mag another 7000.

Played around today in the front yard with another 30 some year old ABU Ultra Mag, it is nice and smooth with bright orange Chinese 20 pound test 8 Strand Braid, I am really impressed, not issues at all yet.

DrumPro BraidMan
Living on the edge 👍

·
Premium Member
440 Posts

DrumPro BraidMan
If the end plate of any revolver is flat - such as the Abu 7000 - far better to dynamic mono mag than static mag. Too easy to accomplish. Just did that to a Chief 6000CTS and turned it into a 6000CTM.

Gas Machine Auto part Metal Rotor

A mono mag can be had from a number of US and UK sources, and I've made that conversion to many many reels over the last 2+ decades, all with very positive results.

Gas Auto part Machine Metal Drill

It can be also be done to domed end plates, such as most Abu 550x and 6650x reels by using, or making, an angled mono mag.
Automotive lighting Headlamp Bicycle part Material property Nickel

Automotive lighting Circuit component Tire Automotive tire Auto part

Even a cheap Penn Warfare can be mono magged by swapping it into the clicker hole.

Camera accessory Bicycle part Audio equipment Rim Cameras & optics

·
Registered
442 Posts
I think I'll apply to join Joker's camp too.
I can fix this one and use it, but the next one will NOT be plastic.

Thanks !
Pretty much my opinion as well. I find the Penn composite a superior reel. I like the F15's but I doubt I buy any more. As is I have more reels than I should ever own. I take spares and if walking as Garbo mentioned I do have a habit of taking a spare with me.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
I ran the cage and end plate through QC on a CMM to check/ verify/ blueprint the locating pins and mating sockets.
Won't go into the details, but the guy that designed the Snoopy n' Woodstock Zebcos would have blushed. :rolleyes:
Decided to fix it, all else being good and dreading the riggamaroll of dealing with the mfg/dealer.
The mating surfaces were machined out well oversize and then grouted in with reinforced epoxy and assembled in perfect concentric alignment..
It is now as it should have been and is in excellent alignment and is doing really well. A little fluff .... not a problem now.
Cheers !

41 - 49 of 49 Posts