Pier and Surf Forum banner
21 - 40 of 49 Posts

·
Premium Member
440 Posts
Yessir G-Man,
Ditch the Akios and get a Fathom II and be done with it. There's a reason most of the drum pros use them.
Nonsense! The Nitron is as good a reel as it gets for Drum or whatever, and so are any number of Penns and Omotos and Abus and Avets and etc etc etc.

I think in this Nitron case it's not so much the tool as it is the tool operator.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
OK, as it turns out, there were a multitude of sins.
Firstly, I did not mean to blame, or hack on the reel, was just wondering if anyone else had similar problems. I'm the weakest link in this story :)
I had about 3/4 of a spool on it from last year and used that for a while w/no problems. Was actually a bit impressed that I did as well as I did from a long 11 mo. break. That was the first mistake .... to expect to pick up from where you left off a year earlier. Gotta back up a bit towards starting over.
Then I got the notion to fill with new line. That's when it got touchy. (as you all said, thanks)
Now I recall when it began to get nasty. On the way in from a nice 100+ yd'r, a flounder hit me in the wash. Got it in and re-baited. Then, for the first time ever, I tried to gently loft it 50' or so just to pull the fresh bait through the near edge again.
7oz on a CCP 6-10. That really went bad. Line got under the spool and around the axle. Had to take the side plate off to clear it and lost that 100' or so of line. There's not much room under the spool at the seat. I suppose as the full spool fluffed, even a little, there is no where for the swollen line to go so it got forced into the flange/frame joint. The line was kinky and beat up/pinched in a few places but held well under a pull test so I kept using it occasionally getting it under the spool a couple times but never again around the axle. I finally stripped another 100' or so off to get down to undamaged line in case I hooked something substantial. Then I got along much better. I had the mags out half way (from last year) put them back in to about 1/4 and was happier with the gained control and albeit shorter casts.
I'd lost a bit of confidence, but understanding what went wrong, and learning what to do to fix it is going a long way to getting me back to , at least, where I was.
Thanks Gents.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
As noted by retired this issue was with early generation European F15’s …
...... also noted in the comments following that 2 yr old video:

"It should be noted that the Akios reel featured in the SAA vids was not a finished reel, it was an unfinished preproduction sample. The production reels have a different spool with a far greater capacity of 466m of 0.35mm mono whereas the spool on the preproduction reel had a capacity of just 280m of 0.35mm. There are also no issues with line trapping between the spool and cage with the production Akios reels as the spool to cage tolerances are far tighter with the newly designed spools. Hope this clears up a few points."

Thanks Phil,
A

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 · (Edited)
Upon further investigation:
There's so much I like about this F15, but here's one thing I don't ... and didn't expect.
I was skeptical about paying (near) top $ for plastic, but it has come a long way over the years and critical components are typically machined to final dimensions for precision fit / function.
This (maybe not all) F15's side plate with its alignment pins and matching holes in the frame are simply formed in the initial injection molding process and are quite sloppy with substantial clearances allowing gross misalignment of the spool flange to the opening for it in the frame.
The fixed side is good as there is no option to shift that end of the axle.
The left side however is a whole nuther story.
I noticed that even after a good cast, the small bit of fluff after clamping the spool a hair late went under the spool as I was looking at it. .. multiple times.
I took the reel to the shop. I have granite inspection plates and can read to .0001", but roughly will do here.
The left flange of the spool has a very minimal runout of .0004" , quite acceptable. But I notice that the anodizing was rubbed off at the high point indicating that it was rubbing something, likely the frame. (no way ! )
The nominal clearance between the spool and the measured frame computes to about .013" (nice !)
But due to the slop in the side plate locators, the plate is able to move as much as .009" which allows it to move all the way till the spool actually rubs the frame which leaves a gap of as much as .026" + on the opposite side.
Any crack-off or other sudden shock, big fish with slightly loose side plate screws, or whatever CAN cause the side plate to slide on the frame slightly creating this misalignment.
I took care to reassemble the reel with a ribbon of soft shim material .0125" thick and the reel is working flawlessly now with Big Game 15 lb (.016") and nothing under the spool.
Couple crude pics.
I hope they are not all like this. Being an aerospace machinist, for $300+, I must say I did expect better.
I think its just a matter of poor alignment strategy for the side plate. A periphery shoulder of sorts would have been far better than 2 small tapered (draft) pins/dowels and bosses with loosely matching holes.
So there ..... a lot of it was me, but not all of it. ;)
Automotive tire Automotive lighting Tire Bumper Motor vehicle

Automotive tire Computer keyboard Gas Bumper Automotive lighting

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 · (Edited)
In all honesty, I think it was ........... you.
Well, to be totally honest, I didn't make it. I think they are made in Asia for a British company.
Maybe you know little about metrology, all I did was measure the mating parts and reassemble compensating for the poor alignment method implemented. And the problem went away .... that part was ...... me.
Maybe you would have to actually see it to understand. I don't do videos or I would help you out.
Anyway, it is what it is ... believe it, or not.
If you have one, give it a check. Just slightly loosen the 4 screws and see if the side plate will shift around several thousandths. Maybe yours is close fitting, this one is not.
Thanks anyway .... honestly.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
Arnav…just what I was thinking…jk…nice analysis!
Thanks Phil. I could have measured it to a closer tolerance, but it wasn't necessary. Assembling the side plate without paying close attention to maintaining the alignment allowed the eccentricity to be over .020" on one side and near 0 on the opposite. Adjusting the side play of the spool does nothing in regard to any radial flange clearances as mentioned earlier. I set this at minimal visual movement, .005" or less.
This reel, as it was, would eat practically any fluff at any stage of the cast. I every cast was perfect, or mags all in and the clicker on, it would work nicely. But that doesn't get out very far.
Another bit of cheese, the 4 little dinky screws only thread into the plastic frame a very small amount. They hold the parts together pretty well but have no where near the ability to hold the plate in alignment if shocked or pulled by a tight line.
This is where the alignment dowels being tighter would serve to maintain the alignment.
If you have one, check it out the next time you open it up.
Just curious.
Thanks again,
A

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
Ditch the Akios and get a Fathom II and be done with it. There's a reason most of the drum pros use them.

Got to go with Joker on this one. Own three Fathom 15's likely the mag version is even better. These Penn Reels seem not to have issues with line getting behind the spool.

Long time ago ABU came out with the 7500. The Frame and Spool had more clearance than the regular 7000. Line would get behind the Spool on my 7500's so I ditched them and sold them off. The older I get the less problems I need, like a 10 minute walk back to the Truck to get a new Drum Rod and Reel because of a blowup issue, or worse to be on a Pier during a hot bite (which does not last forever) and you break off your cast and then have to get another rig and perhaps have to stand at the end of the line whilst others are bowed up and you have no room to cast your bait.

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
I took one of my Fathom 15's apart yesterday to see if I could easily mag it. It looked like too much work so I put it back together.

I magged an Avet SX5 and it cast decent and had a wonderful lever drag. Sold it off. Thinking about buying another just to static mag it.

Thanks for this detailed analysis on this Akios, Unless I find one in the trash dumpster at Ramp 44 I will not ever cast one likely.

·
Premium Member
440 Posts
Well, to be totally honest, I didn't make it. I think they are made in Asia for a British company.
Maybe you know little about metrology, all I did was measure the mating parts and reassemble compensating for the poor alignment method implemented. And the problem went away .... that part was ...... me.
Maybe you would have to actually see it to understand. I don't do videos or I would help you out.
Anyway, it is what it is ... believe it, or not.
If you have one, give it a check. Just slightly loosen the 4 screws and see if the side plate will shift around several thousandths. Maybe yours is close fitting, this one is not.
Thanks anyway .... honestly.
If you reelly feel it's the reel, then clearly it's defective since so many other folks don't have the issue you've uncovered, and it should be returned, get your dollar$ back, and get that Penn. (y) (y)

21 - 40 of 49 Posts