Pier and Surf Forum banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Akios, F15 Nitron
While the bite was down, I did a lot of practice casting at the beach with just a weight.
Wind was a challenge but casts were improving as confidence built and mags reduced.
Got to the point a bit of fluff was building and on 3 occasions, the line got between the spool and the frame.
17 lb. Berkely mono. Couldn't believe there was enough of a gap for .015" line to get in there.
Threw a cheap Okuma in the bin because of that, didn't expect it with a $300 reel.
Dang cheapass plastic, I recon. Or ? ? ? ?
Will maybe be all metal for me from now on.
Fathom II might be next.
Anyone else had this issue with the F15 ?
Fatter, 20lb line maybe to fix ? 30 ?
Thanks

·
Premium Member
438 Posts
The Nitron reel is of top shelf fishing quality. Have you over-spooled the reel? Have you properly adjusted spool play, to keep the spool-to-frame gap as narrow as possible? Switch to a more supple copolymer mono mainline such as Sufix Tritanium Plus 17# (.016) or Sakuma 18# (.015).

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi Bob. PCB
Spool filled to where, when level, the leader knot will clear the frame everywhere. Can't afford a hump tho.
Spool play is from barely free to just a few thousandths of an inch.

I don't see how switching to the lines you guys mention would make much difference, other than the larger dia., but will try it.
Thanks

·
Premium Member
438 Posts
Where does the main line fill up to on the spool flanges?

Are you always winding in the line under tension and doing a decent line lay?

A more supple line will be more forgiving.

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
Put 20 pound line of the reel. Neon Fire Sufix is my new favorite 20 pound line.

If you want forgiving a thicker line is much more forgiving especially for fishing.

Leave 3/16" of free space on your reel spools. It will be less prone to backlash on you if you get sloppy with your cast.

If you are still having problems leave 1/4" of spool remaining.

Filling reel spools to the maximum and trying to throw as hard as you can, makes for a recipe of getting out the knife or scissors and doing a bit of re-spooling when the reel back lashes.

When you start having 100 percent reliability with 3/16 inches drop down to 1/8 inch.

If you fill the spool all the way to the edge and have a lot of turns of shock, you are going to keep having problems until your cast is super smooth without any slack line or sudden acceleration to the cast.

I am thinking about having a $8.00 a month fee for my advice, kind of like a Blue Check next to a tweet tweet.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Some of the VERY early F15's had the issue you talk about. Mine never have. I also use 20 pd line and fill my spool like Garbo advises. It did stop my blow ups and I am not a very good caster any more at my age. My back with its multiple surgeries controls how consistent I am. its just life any more.

·
Premium Member
438 Posts
They invented the pendulum cast for old folks, that and Sputniks to stay competitive.
Hah! Not really for both, but it all sounds good.

There's the casting court and then there's surf fishing - two very different venues that can share attributes at times.

There are times to employ a pendulum cast and times you won't be able to swing lead in a 20-25' arc @ a 45* angle.

As to sputniks, they are very effective tools for holding bottom and being anchors for fish finders.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Thinking back on it, I do believe that the fuller the spool, the worser my troubles were.
Never happened last year when maybe it was not so full.
Anxious to try it later in the week.
Thanks to all,
A
I have to admit that the F15 (to me) which doesn't mean much does not look to have the quality of the Penn's and especially the Jap made reels. BUT with that said they throw great and I have them on my best rods....other than dunking one had no problems.Easy clean up.

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
I practiced this 360 degree four part pendulum with a 6-7 feet drop with a Drum rod all during the pandemic without even letting go of the sinker in my front yard. I can do it with a four foot drop but 7 feet is more smooth. It is for fishing not grass casting. I stole the motions from the competition casters and shortened them up to better control the sinker.

I do not need that much space. It was practiced expressly for fishing. Same short drop cast totally dumps a Daiwa SHA that I static magged when is loaded with 20 pound ProSpec and a five ounce Stingsilver or a bank sinker or competition sinker.

There is no freaking way I can get all the line off that SHA or any other reel these days with just a Hatteras Cast and the same weight, perhaps 20 years ago when I was more in my prime but not now for sure.

When I finally get down to the OBX Drum piers and if I feel I need it to be competitive, I will tell everyone on the end of pier that if I were them I would get back. If they do not move the first time, on my second cast will certainly have them all moving in the other direction than Africa. The ones that know me will move the first time. I am Dangerous just with any cast and a heavy sinker........

The only dicey part on the pier is when the sinker goes over my head from my right side and if not done right it could hit the railing on its way back behind me on the Africa side of the railing... coming back into to my left side, I have only done it on land but I am pretty sure it will clear the railings, if I keep it well above my head and shoulders. I saw BlackBeard do this cast with a longer drop it is an overhead 360 degrees. I think I had to watch his video 10 times before I could trace where the sinker was and where it was going. I am not as refined as Blackbeard was but I am only a fisherman, never entered a tournament, likely never will.

I just shortened it a lot for Fishing for Drum. In a real big wind it would be too dicey, but in a real big wind you let the wind load the rod on a Hatteras cast.

I pendulum at the Point a lot with Stingsilvers sometimes with bait, you just have to walk far enough down the line to have enough space.

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
I do not use any more space than my Hatteras cast. but the rod is fully loaded by the time I am moving forward and releasing the spool. Like I said the only really dicey part is when it goes over my head from the right side and you have to keep the rod tip leading the sinker.

I can probably train some good looking Hottie to do it in a video and become an influencer.

I have seen a lot of competition casters sent home from the Point in shame by the DrumPros. Like you said Bob chucking 8-10 ounces and bait is a lot different than 175 Grams and 12 pound test line.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts