Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello!

I've never given too much thought to line spec's but would now like to improve my setup... i've been a clear blue flourescent stren mono guy forever. I've read a lot of posts about line and shockleaders but seems to be geared towards surf fishing and not much info about pier fishing.

For pier fishing, do you all use a shockleader as with surf fishing??
if so, how long a shockleader?

I fish piers (cape henlopen) and will be using 9 and 10' OM rods paired with penn 5500 and shimano baitrunner 4500b. I've always simply tied my rigs (25-30# short 3 ft lengths) directly to my 15-17# mono, with 2-3 oz of lead and bait.

With the pilings present i'm thinking some better abrasion resistant line would be good, as well as a tougher shockleader/leader setup. I'd like to have a better chance at those big ones that make a run at the pilings. In addition I do make some relatively longer casts for a pier and particularly if i'm throwing into a stiffer wind so even though I've never snapped my line throwing I imagine i might.

So, I'm thinking 15-17# mainline (type?), 25-30# shockleader (if necessary? type?) of 30-40 ft??, tied directly (on the spot) to my terminal leader of 30-40? # abrasion resistant fluoro or other (type?)....

as you can see lots of question marks above! any help appreciated!

if anyone wants to talk about the CH pier I've been fishing it off and on for 15 years and know it pretty well. I may be there this weekend a long drive from NC. excited to try out my new oceanmaster rods.

TIGHT! j

·
Registered
680 Posts
shorefisher. i fish the cape pier quite often as i live less than 10 min. away. i use a 6 1/2ft rod with 8# line. i do very well. i will now [autumn] go to a 7ft with 20# powere pro. the rock are starting to hit and it is a different ballgame. if you use a heavier line on your leader[20#] than on your line[17#], then when you get hung in the pilings, you will loseyour fish every time. the line will break before the leader.:cool: :cool:

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
Rock at CH Pier

Bill R,
Where on the pier have the rock been hitting? What's the bait? Lures, plastics, eels or cut bait..I'm planning on hitting the Pier on Sunday ...early am through afternoon..see ya there if your around.:)

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
Shorefisher

I have always tried to keep it simple on the pier, I guess it depends on where on the pier you fish and which species you fish for..I would think the only time you would need a shock leader if you were baited up for big stripers or drum out at the end..I usually just take my two 6' 6" Ugly Sticks or my 7' Ande Backwater Rod..all three are spooled with Trilene Big Game Green 15#..this is my favorite line ...have used for years..the stuff it tough! Haven't tried the Power Pro yet..a few years ago I snapped two rods with fireline and spiderwire.. I haven't done much fall fishing at the pier..just spring and summer..have a safe trip!:)

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
CHP

Roger that! I will know what day I will be fishing and what times! Working around two kids events this weekend:)

·
Registered
186 Posts
Shorefisher,
My general pier setup is a 7 foot med heavy rod spooled with 20 lb Trilene Big Game. Normally I throw 2 ounces but sometimes have to move to 3. I have never had a break off. Then again the line tests out higher than it is rated. It wouldn't be a bad idea for you to use a shock leader in the range of 25-30lb test. This will provide abrasion resistance and give you something to pull the fish up the side with if you forget your bridge net. At minimum, the shock leader should be long enough to wrap around your spool 5 times, then drop down to where you hang your sinker for casting. If it will work on your reel, you may want to make it long enough to get the wraps on your spool and still have enough tag end to reach down to the water to give extra protection when the fish gets in close. I have never fished your pier so I would strongly advise to Billr, he knows what he's doing. Just find out what works for you. Remember if you go to a weight heavier than 3 ounces, you need 10 lbs of shock leader for every ounce of weight for safety *ex. 4 ounces-40lb leader, 5 ounces-50lb leader*
Tight lines and popped riggers

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
Shock Leader Not?

Which one would you recomend? Never used one..I know they're mandatory for high weight casting and big fish..would like to tie a couple tonight on my surf stix..:(

1 - 8 of 8 Posts