Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looks like the lure bite at the Choptank Bridge-Pier has started. You can toss all the bait rigs and livelining rigs and big surf rods in the closet :).

Got down there tonight right around 8:30PM, beginning of the outgoing, wind and rain stopped right on cue.....

Lost a nice fish (may have been biggest of the night) on my first cast; 3/4 ounce silver Rattle-trap, casting on the right-hand side of the Cambridge pier at the very last light at the end.

Got an 18 1/4" a few minutes later, released about 3 18-18 1/2" fish in hopes of getting something bigger, got a 20" and decided to go ahead and keep that....then fooled around with some single-hook spinnerbaits, got a few bumps, but not nearly as many as the rattle-trap, and couldn't hook anything. Switched back to rattletrap, released a couple more fish, and went home.

Caught probably about 15 fish total in about 45 minutes....about 1 in 3 were legal, none smaller than 15", which is a vast improvement from last year. Really looks good for the next month.

Really wasn't that frenetic a bite compared to a lot of times down there, NO breaking fish WHATSOEVER, but they were really hanging out at the shadow edge.

Neither of my fish had anything in their stomachs, though both were healthy. Maybe they're just there hanging around waiting for bunker?

No one there when I got there, two other guys, one casting a leadhead and plastic and another casting a spec rig with twister tails; leadhead guy had gotten 5-6 really small shorts fishing closer in, I gave him one of my rattle-traps (I have a bunch) when I left.

I really think rattle-traps are 10x better than plastics out there. I've never had much success with anything but rattle traps in 1/2 and 3/4 ounce. They're after peanut bunker and rattletraps look EXACTLY like them.

·
Registered
3,746 Posts
Nice report John! Yeah them rattletraps work good there. Them rockfish are always hanging out at that spot. Hopefully with some cooler water on the way them rockfish will start to fatten up.

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
Quick Trip

Nice report John K, I wish I lived closer would be there everynight :D

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, I live about 30 minutes away so I can just zip down there on weeknights.

It seems to me the Western shore folk who mainly fish North Beach and Matapeake stop going to the Tank in November; all that's left is a small band of maybe a half dozen local lure casting guys.

There's plenty of room for more, you don't have to be at the LAST light, and you can catch on both sides. More fun than bait fishing, no oyster toads or catfish to fool with.

Weather can often be pretty nice in November too. Though it doesn't matter to the Rock; I've caught with Rattletraps there in 25 kts of wind, driving rain, and it being about 30 degrees :).

Was like that the last day of the season a few years back; weather got worse as I walked out. Made one cast, got a 20" rock, said "screw it" and went home.

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
I don't know I happend to love plastics and Sassy Shads have been good.If the Bunker come in there thick the Storm Wildeye Shads in a Bunker color will be a killer.I've done good using the smallest white bucktail/white grub I can use.I have a cupple Rattle Traps and Mr Bunkers in my box though.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts