Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been looking for a pomp, sea mullet, black drum light action rod. Anybody have any feedback on the Daiwa Emblem for a conventional setup? This is for an older gentlemen who needs something light and easy to throw with a fast action and nice "bow" at the tip.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Been looking for a pomp, sea mullet, black drum light action rod. Anybody have any feedback on the Daiwa Emblem for a conventional setup? This is for an older gentlemen who needs something light and easy to throw with a fast action and nice "bow" at the tip.
I see you want to use conventional reel, what type?

If you want to use a 12'er, and you want something decent, I would try the 12' Okuma Solaris. A really nice rod for around $80.00

The Solaris has quality Fuji fittings, cork wrapped grip and nice wrappings ...well worth the money

Last year I had a chance to compare my Breakaway 123 with the 12' Solaris, and I found it was just as good....but about $200.00 cheaper.

This will give us a chance to give you some good information to help you

·
Registered
799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I see you want to use conventional reel, what type?

If you want to use a 12'er, and you want something decent, I would try the 12' Okuma Solaris. A really nice rod for around $80.00

The Solaris has quality Fuji fittings, cork wrapped grip and nice wrappings ...well worth the money

Last year I had a chance to compare my Breakaway 123 with the 12' Solaris, and I found it was just as good....but about $200.00 cheaper.

This will give us a chance to give you some good information to help you
It's for the old man from Santa and this seems to be what he wants (Emblem). It will be mated with a 6500 Record. I finally got him to fishing with fleas more and he doesn't like my downrigger rods because of the short handle :)

·
Registered
71 Posts
If it is what he wants, then get it. If he likes it before he even fishes it, you're way ahead of the curve.

For lightweight, fairly inexpensive rods, I like the Tsunami Airwave I have. Tight tip that will cast a mile and bends deep when you hang something with size to it. They are in the same price range as the emblems.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Not sure which Diawa Emblem your requesting info on, there's a 12' version that handles 5 to 8 ozs and an 11'4" version that handles 4 to 7 ozs. Both are over rated. The 11' 4" version handles about 5ozs max.

I have the 11'4" version and love it, and even though I have a Daiwa Saltiga Ballistic, AFAW Surf model, and Breakaway LDX, it remains one of my favorites.

On two separate occasions I've taken a novice surf fisherman fishing and let him fish my rods so he could make a decision as to what he wanted to buy for himself. In both cases, they decided to buy the Daiwa Emblem. You can't go wrong with that rod.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts