Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m looking for a light ocean set up that could still throw some weight (I often need to throw 3 ounces where I surf fish). Fish a lot of whiting, pompano, and other ocean panfish. Would a medium light ugly stik tiger rod with maybe a 2500 penn fierce do the trick? Any thoughts or suggestions?

·
Registered
5,607 Posts
I would go medium or MH if you want an Ugly Stick, assuming you don't need a long cast. I've had a 7' Bigwater Ugly Stick that goes on every surf trip I've made for the last 10 years and caught tons of whiting and pomps on it. It's rated up to 3 oz I believe and it'll do fine fishing fleas 10 feet out on a high tide or 20 or 30 yards out inside the first bar.

Graphite rods are going to be lighter but more expensive and honestly I like the soft bendy tips of fiberglass when using fleas in the surf.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I’m looking for a light ocean set up that could still throw some weight (I often need to throw 3 ounces where I surf fish). Fish a lot of whiting, pompano, and other ocean panfish. Would a medium light ugly stik tiger rod with maybe a 2500 penn fierce do the trick? Any thoughts or suggestions?
Tsunami Airwave will get the job done

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
For bait fishing for the species you're describing, I second SmoothLures' suggestion. You could go with a lightweight, pricier graphite option, but you will catch just as many on the cheap fiberglass rod. When I started surf fishing hard, I only used graphite stuff, mostly heavy rods. Now white fiberglass rods make up half of my spread on any given trip, and for some reason they catch most of the fish (same target species as you).

If this is going to double as a rod for artificials, something like the Tsunami mentioned above would be good.

I looked into the Ugly Stik Tiger for a catfish/light surf rod awhile back, but price:weight ratio was no good for what I needed. I ended up with a couple of Ugly Stiks (the white ones) for the money, and they are working fine.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Luke, I have three 8 ft. Ugly Stik Catfish (Model: USSPCAT802MH) rods, rated at 1/2-3 oz, that I use for whiting, pompano, etc. in the surf. At $40, they are about $30 cheaper than the comparable Ugly Stik Tiger rods. I bought Penn Fierce II 3000 reels when Neuse River Sport Shop ran a 50% clearance sale on them late last year. You might check and see if they still have any left. I am really happy with this combo - cheap, but perfect for job.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts