Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know rod technology is moving along and was wondering what some of the better light rods are now for sound/surf flounder and trout .. drum too. Something for buck tails, jigs, lures up to maybe 3-4ozs. .. filling out the fishing arsenal and cost isn't really a big issue. TIA

aln

·
Registered
77 Posts
A rod rated to 4oz is going to be an awful trout rod. Any med-med light action rod 6-6 or 7ft would be a decnt choice for a lot of applications. I fish jigs and Carolina rigs to 1/2oz with those. If you need more weight id suggest 2rods. A Kunnan 7ft med with a 2500 size reel 8lb braid or mono and a Diawa Emcast 9ft 1-4oz with a 4000-5000 size reel 12lb braid or mono for mullet rigs and stingsilvers. Those are my favourite averAge Joe surf rods at the moment. I dont own any rods over 100$ though as I just dont see the point other than showing it off to goons

·
Registered
517 Posts
I have all kinds of make rods, St Croix's Penn, all good rods. But my favorite make are Star rods, check them out.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I guess I should have simply asked what some of the better rods are for buck tails and such for flounder and trout and left off the weight .. especially after looking at some of the nicer rods that are just rated for 2oz. Rod technology has come a long way since I fished lighter weights and artificial.

·
Registered
517 Posts
I use a 9' Star rod Stella light , 1 to 4 oz or it's a 1/2 to 4 oz. I don't have it with me right now. It handels bucktails and spoons great. I use it for jetty fishing. I have brought some nice size blues and stripers in with it at IRI De. It's light enough to cast for a long time and it has great backbone. I also like Tica rods for the money. I have a few St Croix rods I paid a lot more money for and they do not out perform these less priced rods. Casting on the beach I use a 11' Tsunami Elite rod 1 to 4 1/2 oz. Rod is one of the best I have ever had for casting plugs and tins. Tight lines

1 - 5 of 5 Posts