Pier and Surf Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hate to ask a simple question but what license is necessary to fish the Chesapeake, a MD salt or a VA salt or both?

this is for my information

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Eather one,just remember to get the Bay permit,you may have to get a MD.license to fish the rivers like the Tank,and so on.

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
For maryland, I assume that the bay sport license covers the atlantic as well or am I wrong. Same with Virginia?

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
THat may be true because I have the MD fishing application and it only has Tidal/Bay Sport and I assume that it covers places like AI and OC.

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
As I said you don't need anything for OC or AI,the only thing you need for AI(if your going to drive on the sand)is a 4x4 sand permit and if your from VA. and buy a permit in MD. they will charge you for an out of state permit,but if you buy one in VA. it will cover AI. too.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Just a side note. A Md or Va bay license will cover you also in the Potomac river all the way up to the DC line. Granpa

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
WRONG, a Md. or Va. saltwater sportfishing license will cover the Potomac up to the 301 bridge. Above the 301 bridge you better have a freshwater license or be ready to pay a fine!....Tightlines

·
Registered
4,474 Posts
I used to fish the 301 bridge on the VA side (beach)and a ranger told me I didn't need a license at the bridge because MD and VA couldn't agree on who actually owned it.

Don't know if it's really true or not.

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
Trust me you need a license, salt below fresh above. I've met you and your a great guy!!! I would hate to see you leave there hooked up in those wrist thingies...LOL Hope this covers that other post to your satisfaction. Sorry,I must have been to busy bustin your chops about the wise guy crack. Take care my friend.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Well, I can tell you that I was checked last year in "the spoils" which is actually up river of the Wilson bridge (but in Maryland) and the Md DNR officer accepted my Va bay license. The Potomac is considered tidal up to Chain bridge. If you wander off into a feeder creek or river you need a lic from that state. Also been checked at the Possum Point area (halfway between) with the same license and same results. I won't argue the point just giving you my experiences. Granpa

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
It seems we are both wrong. I just checked the regs and here are the 2003 regs. I know last year a Saltwater sportfishing license did not cover above the 301. We own a house in King George Va. close to Fairview Beach and to fish that part of the river I needed a freshwater license. They have changed it this year...Sorry

Potomac River: Virginia has reciprocal license agreements for three sections of the Potomac River, one above the District of Columbia and two below the District of Columbia. License requirements are different for these sections.

Upper Potomac River [above Little Falls (upper border with the District of Columbia) to the West Virginia border/stateline]: Resident anglers with state freshwater licenses in Virginia or Maryland may fish the Potomac River and from both banks.

Middle Potomac and its Tidal Freshwater Tributaries (between Woodrow Wilson Bridge and Rt. 301): Valid Virginia freshwater (excluding County licenses), Potomac River Fisheries Commission, and Maryland bay sport licenses are honored, including Virginia tributaries up to the following demarcation lines:

Accotink Creek: Rt. 1 Bridge
Aquia Creek: First bridge above Aquia Harbor Marina
Chopawansic: Rt. 1 Bridge
Chotank: Causeway
Dougue Creek: Rt. 235, Mt. Vernon Memorial Parkway
Four Mile Run: Rt. 1 Bridge
Hunting Creek: Rt. 1 Bridge
Little Hunting Creek: Rt. 1 Bridge
Neabsco: Rt. 1 Bridge
Occoquan River: Fall Line
Pohick Creek: Rt. 611 (Colchester Road)
Potomac Creek: Rt. 608 Bridge
Powells Creek: Rt. 1 Bridge
Quantico Creek: Rt. 1 Bridge
Unnamed bays and tributaries accessible by gas powered boats.
Valid Virginia freshwater and saltwater (excluding County licenses), Potomac River Fisheries Commission, and Maryland bay sport licenses are honored, including Maryland tributaries up to the following demarcation lines:

Anacostia River: downstream of Northeast Branch Bridge at northbound lane of Alternate Rt. 1
Bladensburg Road, and Northwest Branch Bridge at southbound lane of Rhode Island Avenue a Virginia freshwater license is honored.
Piscataway Creek: Downstream of Rt. 224 Bridge (Livingston Rd.)
Henson Run: Downstream of Oxon Hill Road Bridge
Nanjemoy Creek: Downstream of Rt. 6 (Trappe) Bridge
Port Tobacco Creek: Downsteam of Rt. 6 Bridge
Mattawoman Creek: Downstream of Rt. 225 Bridge
Unnamed bays and tributaries accessible by gas powered boats.
Lower Potomac (between its mouth and the Rt. 301 Bridge): Valid Virginia saltwater (excluding County licenses), Maryland bay sport, or Potomac River Fisheries Commission licenses are honored in the main stem. In Virginia tributaries below 301, Virginia freshwater and saltwater, and Potomac River Fisheries Commission licenses are honored.
Note: Maryland regulations apply for the Upper Potomac River and the Maryland Potomac River tributaries (call 1-800-688-3467 for current Maryland regulations).

Note: Potomac River Fisheries Commission regulations are enforced in the Potomac main stem between the lower District of Columbia border and the mouth of the Potomac (call 1-804-224-7148 or 1-800-266-3904 for current PRFC regulations).

Waters between the Woodrow Wilson Bridge and Little Falls are controlled by D.C., and a D.C. fishing license is required.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I'm not sure where you think I was wrong but the point is that the license situation can be very confusing and has changed a number of times in the 25 yrs that I've fished the Potomac. It is unlikely that the bureaucrats will make it any easier in the future, so a quick check with a local tackle/bait shop is usually a wise idea anywhere you fish.
Granpa

1 - 15 of 15 Posts