Pier and Surf Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is a good heavy Lews Speed Stick that I've had for many years.
Its old school and heavy, by today's standards,but I like it.
6', extra heavy.
I don't like the pistol grip anymore (weaker wrists now) and am wondering if it could be modded to replace it with a straight (short) butt section, for 2 handed casting and to fit the rod holders on the boat/shore better.
Could leave the seat and add a straight extension I suppose, but wondering if a thru-handle/seat type of extension might be
a preferable option.
Just wondering. :unsure:
I might just cut into the grip to see if there's a nipple of sorts to attach something to, but it might be angled.
Thanks,
A:)

Metal Fashion accessory Clock Nickel Natural material

· Registered
2,911 Posts
I have a Lews popping rod XXX heavy 7'6" that I have owned for nearly forty years or so. Rewrapped it and used it to take several thousand bluefish and hundreds of Spanish for king mackerel fishing. Also some nice Stripers on the OBX when the Stripers were all over the place oceanside. This Lews rod is pretty well beat up and is real heavy compared to today's graphite because it was made of fiberglass. I bought it at Atlantic Tackle the tackle store that existed before Terry Stewart set up shop. When Terry opened his Nags Head store he operated out of the small building for a while and then tore it down and built his current operation which has been very successful for his family.

My popping rod has been retired, it has a butt wrap on it back when I put butt wraps on my rods in the 1980's. It has those black plastic foam grips that were in vogue back in the day. It would be a real chore to make it look presentable so I just tucked it out of sight and told it that it was time to rest up. Kind of like my 8600 and 9000's it is time to rest.

I had another Lews rod just like yours I used an ABU 4500 on it. I remember the handle with the black ribbon effect. I left it at a friends house with some other sticks, but never went back to get them and the home was sold. Lews was big in the 70's and early 80's. Had not thought of that stick until you posted your picture,

If you have other rods or broken rod sections you can fit and epoxy a section of the blank and lengthen the existing Lew's blank after you cut the reel seat off. I have done this a fair amount of times with pleasing results. If the taper on the extension blank is off a little just use masking tape to make it fit and then epoxy it in there for good.

If you strip your blank down and sand it down carefully and add an extension you have a lot of options at places like Mudhole for replacement butts and you can hide the extension work behind the new cork.

· Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If you have other rods or broken rod sections you can fit and epoxy a section of the blank and lengthen the existing Lew's blank after you cut the reel seat off. I have done this a fair amount of times with pleasing results. If the taper on the extension blank is off a little just use masking tape to make it fit and then epoxy it in there for good.

If you strip your blank down and sand it down carefully and add an extension you have a lot of options at places like Mudhole for replacement butts and you can hide the extension work behind the new cork.
Good stuff ! Will look around for candidates.
Thanks GMan !

· Registered
126 Posts
Arnav, check the front ferrule collette- I have many rods from the day built like this and many times the blank was glued into ferrule, which is then fitted into the handle collette. You may be able to take it out of the ferrule, but may require vise grip or similar since it's likely been in there 40 plus years. At that point, you can better assess what you might do to extend the handle, and might be easier. Could be you could epoxy the ferruled end into a piece of glas from a donor rod, plenty at yard sales, flea markets etc. I'd wrap the joint in leftover braid, 50 or 65 lb will work, for strength, and epoxy over that before new grip. Should be plenty strong for bass fishing like that.

· Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi Thornhammer.
Just as you say, I was able to crack the glue loose with torque, then rasp nearly through the sides of the ferrule until I could gently crack it loose. Then I sawed the butt off of and old Berkley spinner. That blank was firmly attached so I drilled it open just enough to fit the Lews and epoxied it together last evening. All set up now and is quite comfortable, even though the spinner seat is upside down. That don't bother me a bit.
Thanks gents,
A :)

· Registered
126 Posts
Hey, that worked out famously and you've got the metal butt cap for hoop strength! Upside down depends on who you ask- Ford vs. Chevy: some want the solid hood up top for the fish to pull against; some want it downlocking so the weight of the reel bouncing in a rod holder wont back off the rings and have the reel bounce off underway (I had that happen to a Penn 9500SS- the braid saved it, but it hit me in the back of the head).

NIce work! Looks better than stock.

· Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
About 6'8" now?
Almost ... just proud of 6'7".
HUGE difference.
Simulating a fight to adjust the drag, palm the reel with the butt against arm or belly, piece of cake.
Levering that short but gets a 2 handed 1 oz cast nearly 100 yds. (10 lb mono)
That Lews was retired 15 years ago, back in the saddle now.
Thanks again,
:)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts