Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
fished the lesner from 430-600 pm monday night, got one striper at about 24" and @ 5lbs. the fish hit a 6" storm in a blueish color. strong current, nobody else around fishin. sadly enough thats my most successful trip to the lesner this month.

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
5:30 - 7:30

Good tide, west wind. Lots of lines in the water.

NUTTIN! Not even a bump for anyone there.

Sorry about the box. Thats about as low as it gets.

I go there a good bit, and if they are stupid enough to use the box one of us will get it.

Bob

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
re lesner

yea i forgot to mention I was on the duck inn side, also stopped at the spit on my way back from richmond, everything looked great, but no fish

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
I guess I'll be the voice of eternal optimism. With all the fish you read about that are still being caught in the upper bay and places like IRI and other northern locations I think the fish just haven't made to us yet. Everyone (myself included) is so used to catching good runs of fish by now it sure seems like it's a lousy season, but my optimistic voice inside my head says that it's all still yet to come. Water temps still in the upper 50s and it's almost Thanksgiving ?? Just a weird season, but it's got to get better, right?? Just like the perseverance thread says, I'm not done running this thick head into the old proverbial brick wall yet!! I too have been somewhat skunked so far this season, I did get into one run of some schoolie-Stripers at Lynnhaven but I definately do not have that golden horseshoe up my arse. Keep at it, I think it'll pay off before the year's over.

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
Jay-B I think you are right, they are not here yet. When all the light weights stop fishing this winter, you will see ol' Wilber on the Outer Banks catching Stripers on New Years Eve.
This same weather thing happened a few years ago, not to this degree, but, it happened. The Striper fishing was good right through January. A close friend of mine caught a 49lb. fish on New Years Eve, that's good enough for me. I caught fish pretty good on through the month.
This year is off, but the fish will come south. How long they stay is up in the air. If they come to the beach is up in the air. It is always condition driven when they do come in the surf zone.
IMHO the Striper fishing will be very good when they get here.

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
Wilber it's good to see another member of the Optimist Club out there. Everything I've read, and from past seasons experience, tells me that the Striper season doesn't really heat up until the water temps get closer to 50 and then doesn't slow down until it gets below 40. I caught fish last season thru Jan. when the water was into the upper 30s. The fish I'm missing the most right now are the Specks and Pups. It is primetime for those two species and I haven't had any luck with either one. Of course I do fish the Lynnhaven a lot for them and I blame the new boat ramp facility for screwing up the area habitat for those fish, but that's another story.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Hey

I believe Wilber's picking on me---calling me a light weight....lol

This will be my first year fishing the winter months for stripers but by the end of the season I will bear that title no-more

·
Registered
500 Posts
Caught fish through the end of January 03, ice forming on the guides. Had a couple of evenings of 40+ fish caught, one topping off at 56. All schoolies, lots of fun. Used storms tied in a double rig most of the time, rattle trap the rest. Probably could have thrown socks with a hook attached and caught fish those nights. So, in my long winded way, I am saying there will be fish here long after most people hang their waders for the winter. Oh yeah, I was at OBX Ramp 34 last year for New Years and it was near 70. Caught one small biter in 2 days.

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
Jay-B, Yes I am an eternal Optimist and it is too much fun to change now.

1mo, you can stand on a frozen beach with me anytime you want, I'll call when I'm going.

Shoeless, I agree, winter is my favorite time for big numbers, all the fish are starving. Oh and that nice Striper wasn't last New Years, it was 4 years ago, last year it was a different story.

Winter Fishing
1 is less crowded
2 the Stripers are not shy
3 cold, but who cares
4 you don't need ice in your cooler

PS Jay-b they had a couple of pretty good days at the Outer Banks Pier on Specks, but the winds changed all that.

·
Registered
8,390 Posts
Planning on bringing my portable Coleman heater w/ me this winter.

Gonna get cold,but should be able to warmup for a while.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
maybe I sounded like I was complaining, but no... I have had some fun with the schoolies, and I think things will turn on bigtime real soon, The water temps are still kinda high. Im optimistic, and hope to get a bigger one than my biggest last year. I think a big part of my lack of success Is due to my always fishing duck inn lesner, which has had burned out street lights since early/mid october. I was catching striper to 30" during the summer nights out there!!! please come back on!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts