Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Fished the ramp side from 9pm till 11:30. Using whole and cut mullet again. 2 small blues, 1 grey trout 12" and 2 stripers 18" and a nice 24" . Did not want to leave as tide was still coming in. This fall season seems to be on the upandup hope it stays this way for awhile. And I also met Beachcaster out there, nice to meet you.:D

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey Fishnkid, we were on the rampside bayside. The stripers were caught on whole mullet. Trout and blues hitting the cut stuff. Double 8/0 hook rig on the bottom. Kept gettin short strikes so decided to tie on a trailer hook and Bam Fish On ! These were some big mullet we bought at Lynnhaven Pier.

·
Registered
634 Posts
nice work...approx. how big were the mullet?..also i'm not quite understanding the trailer hook thing,please explain...was it being used for striper or trout/blues?

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Kajun- We kept getting what seemed like short strikes because we could not hook up, when the rig came back half the mullet gone. I usually hook em in the head or through the eyeballs but did that also and tied another leader on the line through the top hook eye and placed the second hook near the tail. Worked out nicely.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
OH! mullet were 6-7'' and fat . The person at the pier said they are in short supply this year.

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
Short supply?? Old Indian marketing trick (supply/demand), short supply = big demand = big$$ they should be available to anyone with a cast net from now til november as long as it doesn't get too cold too quick. I was at the bridge wed. a/m lure fishing and noticed a dozen or so that were left on the beach by a guy with a net that was there earlier, must of had too many or was looking for something else. Pretty work with the catch of the day. I fish the same spot a lot, maybe we can "hook-up" one day. I'll be one of the wader guys with the net on one side of me, stringer on the other side (hopefully full of fish:D)and a vest full of 10-15lbs. of lures on my back, coming off the outside sand bar.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Jayb- I also frequent the bridge also. I may be wading also, I got some sort of arm injury now so it depends on how that is doing which will determine how and which gear I be using. Anyways, talk to strangers I may be one. Backpack with pole holders hangin out See ya .

·
Registered
8,390 Posts
casting for mullet

Dawn and dusk have been a real productive time for casting for finger mullet.
Filled a half a 5 gallon bucket in 10 [email protected] Chesapeake beach.
I have caught some nice flatties with live finger mullet.

I am stocking up now for the striper/red drum season.

Catch em, brine em,freeze em,-fish on

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
poleant I usually talk to all the folks that fish in the same spots if for no other reason but to see how they're doing, if they're catching, what they're using, etc. You know the same stuff we talk about here on the boards. Some share and some don't but it's worth my time to at least try to ask most everyone.Hope to see ya out there.

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
There is alot of mullet out there. Filled up a bucket throwing a net about 50 yards from the Lynnhaven Pier on the left. Have not caught any bunker though out there. I've seen them further inside the inlet. Caught mine in the Elizabeth River.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts