Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The fish were there!! Another good morning to play with the Stripers, not as many as the last three days but enough to keep me there until after sunrise and leave with the fish still biting. Caught 10 or so in the 18-22" range and saw a nice 36" fish caught by another fisherman. I do have fillets in the cooler again and the frezer is looking better. Caught mine on the outside bar and when I left they were being caught at the point on the inside one after the other on Storms. The run is definately on and with the weather getting colder this week it should only get better!!

·
Registered
4,222 Posts
Jay B

thanks for the report. with that many catch, you could be angler of the month. hook them while you can, it's good that the action has changed just in one week. last week was not post on catching, now you with 4 day in a row...

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
The stupid Texan has another question...

Are you releasing all these fish as you catch them, hoping for a larger one, or "corraling" them somewhere for later release if you get larger ones?

I would hate to catch two 18 inchers and put them on a stringer in the water to hopefully catch a bigger one and then release one of them, only to have da man give me a ticket, but what is legal?

I can barely afford to buy some waders and don't need to pay extra for holding fish over the daily limit.

Of course, I would first have to CATCH a fish!

Thanks!

Bob

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
HighCap, IMHO the only stupid questions are the ones that aren't asked! I fish with a stringer at my side and it never has more than 2 Stripers on it at any time. If there's already 2 fish on it (that are still healthy enough to swim away for another day) and I do catch another that's bigger then of course the smaller one is spared in favor of keeping the bigger. As far as I know this is legal in the state of Virginia, if anyone knows different then please let me know because I too do not want any unnessary visits or hassels from "THE MAN"!!

·
Registered
691 Posts
culling

I'm not a big fan of culling fish, I have however, done it in the past for charter Capt.'s. I like to set my own personal limit, or goal, for the size of fish I would keep. I frequently give the fish I do keep away, and rarely bring home fish. Here still, I keep only 2 fish and they are usually either doomed because of a fatal hooking, or they meet my personal size limit. I like to leave a slot open for a big fish too, if I'm in a keeping mood. I despise anglers that have no respect for laws pertaining to fish and I'm the guy who will call you in, if I see you break the limit by either length or #'s. Most fish that are culled, WON'T survive. Sure, they may swim off when you get them back in the water, but then the damage that was done kicks in, and said fish goes belly up! BUMMER! I know of folks that cull, sometimes the REALLY cold weather coupled with some water in a fish box will allow a Striper to seemingly be ALIVE when returned to the water. I have my doubts as to the viability of that fish hours or days down the road. I'm unsure of the mortality rate(s) on stringer bound and then released fish. I'm also unsure of the laws pertaining to culling in Virginia; guess I have some reading to do!! I will find out what I can and post the info.... just my thoughts. Fish On

Zigh
><((((*>

·
Registered
862 Posts
This is the only thing that the regulaitons in VA say that comes close to a no culling rule.

"4 VAC-20-252-50C. It shall be unlawful for any person fishing recreationally to possess striped bass in excess of the possession limit applicable for the area and season being fished. Striped bass taken in excess of the possession limit shall be returned to the water immediately."

I do not know if I have ever heard of tickets being given, but that is the rule.

That being said. I would have a relatively good level of confidence that a fish caught in cooler (<70) water, handled properly and held for a short period of time in a reasonably sized live well will survive. After all when they do release mortality studies this is one of the ways that they do it. In those studies the higher mortality for stripers comes from deep hooked fish where a vital organ is punctured. A secondary problem that was discovered was that fish removed from the water when the air temp was above 95F did not survive well even if lipped hooked.

HOWEVER, the gills are one of the more sensitive areas on a fish. Even touching the gills of a fish then releasing it has a negative impact on survival. Just a few weeks ago I had a lip hooked Tautog that bleed all over the inside of my cooler after I handled it while touching the gills (I knew that I was going to keep it) Upon inspection I noticed the injured area.

I would bet that putting a stringer line through the gills of a stiper and hanging it on your belt for 30 minutes or more would most certainly be fatal to the fish within hours after release. But that is just my opinion.

Just something to think about.

Tom

·
Registered
691 Posts
still looking

I went to the VMRC website and tried to locate info pertaining to culling, and only found info for shellfish. So, I sent an e-mail to the webmaster and I hope I'll have an answer soon. I did learn, that I can't give my fish to another angler while on, or near, the water. I guess the neighbors will win out there. I'm always giving fish away. Guess I won't be doing that anymore..... I forgot to mention; Nice going on the fishing jay b!!! I'm just so happy the water temp.'s dropping off and the fish are starting to turn on. From the inlet to the Cape and on up to the York Spit, it's getting fishy!

Zigh
><((((*>
:D

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
JUST TO CLARIFY..........

I too do not believe in putting a fish back that's spent time in a fishbox on a boat. The people that do this are greedy, stupid or both. I fish waist-deep in waders mostly and the fish I turn loose have spent very little time out of the water and are in my opinion still strong and able to swim away and (hopefully) live to be caught another day. If a fish can't survive 30min. to an hour on a stringer then we all need to reconsider any kind of catch & release type fishing. I'm sure if we ask there's some type of government agency out there that's more than willing to waste our tax or user-fee $$ to do a study to determine the mortality rate of these fish. Me, well I'll just keep doing the same thing until someone proves it's wrong or says it's illegal.

·
Registered
691 Posts
what kind of stringer.....

I would think the cord style stringers would come in contact with the fishes gills and therefore harm them. It may not be evident, but anything that touched the gills can cause injury to them; especially a fish splashing around, trying to get free. The other style of stringer, with the metal hooks that go thru the lip would seemingly be far less harmful. What are your thoughts on this?

Zigh
><((((*>

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
Thanks for the clarification folks! I really appreciate it.

Happen to drive past Light House Bait and Tackle on my way back from the UPS Depot and picked up a few bubblegum flavors.

Now, I just have to put my late night self to bed early enough to get up before dawn and catch some fish.

Regards to all!

Bob

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Tom, good thought on the way the fish are handled and put on the stringer. To me the Stripers that are big enough to keep have such large heads that hooking them up to the stringer anywhere but the mouth area is practically impossible unless you've got some different type of stringer than the ones I've seen. Zigh, thanks, it's good to be catching again and not just fishing. Still looking for BUBBA though, hopefully it won't be long before we "hook-up"!!

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Zigh, I didn't think about the cord type. They are a lot more of a pain in the arse to use so I've always used the clip type.

·
Registered
691 Posts
cool deal jay b!! Maybe 2morrow evening I'll venture down to LI and sling a few baits with you fellas?! Until then............

Zigh
><((((*>

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
HighCap, if you're a latenighter then that maybe the time to go fishing. I usually fish in the morning before work or on the weekends at the same time mainly because with 2 teenage boys and a "BOSS" at home( for them and me) that is the time that's the least disruptive when considering the whole family. I do fish the same area at night sometimes and have talked to all lot of others recently that say the bite is on at night too. IMHO the key is to fish there, or any other spot that has current due to the tidal changes, when the current is moving, at least for Stripers that is. They feed mostly by chasing bait and when the current moves it moves the bait with it away from the structure that they hide in, like bridge piles. Good luck whenever you get to go. Zigh looking at the predicted weather reports for tomorrow it's going to blow pretty good from the north which makes it hard to fish that spot, but I may be there wed. or thurs., or both.

·
Registered
691 Posts
forecast

COASTAL MARINE FORECAST
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE WAKEFIELD VA
1000 AM EST MON DEC 1 2003

VIRGINIA PORTION OF THE CHESAPEAKE BAY...CURRITUCK SOUND AND ATLANTIC
COASTAL WATERS FROM FENWICK ISLAND DE TO CURRITUCK BEACH LIGHT NC OUT
20 NAUTICAL MILES

ANZ632-012200-
CHESAPEAKE BAY FROM NEW POINT COMFORT TO CAPE HENRY-
1000 AM EST MON DEC 1 2003

SMALL CRAFT ADVISORY IN EFFECT

THIS AFTERNOON
W WINDS 20 TO 25 KT BECOMING NW. WAVES 2 FEET
BUILDING TO 3 TO 4 FEET.

TONIGHT
NW WINDS 15 TO 20 KT. WAVES 3 TO 4 FEET.

TUE
NW WINDS 20 TO 25 KT. WAVES 3 TO 4 FEET BUILDING TO 4 TO 5
FEET.

TUE NIGHT
N WINDS 20 TO 25 KT. WAVES 4 TO 5 FEET.

WED
N WINDS 15 TO 20 KT. WAVES 3 TO 4 FEET SUBSIDING TO 2 TO 3
FEET LATE IN THE AFTERNOON.

WED NIGHT
N WINDS 10 TO 15 KT. WAVES 1 TO 2 FEET.

THU
NW WINDS 10 TO 15 KT BECOMING W 5 KT IN THE EVENING. WAVES
1 FOOT.

FRI
SE WINDS 5 TO 10 KT BECOMING 15 TO 20 KT IN THE AFTERNOON.
WAVES 1 FOOT BUILDING TO 2 FEET IN THE AFTERNOON.

It looks like Wednesday will be a lot like 2morrow. I have a trip scheduled for Thursday, so maybe Friday? I'll pm you.....

Zigh
><((((*>

·
Registered
3,387 Posts
Personally I have little problem with holding fish on the stringer while wading with the type of Stringer that punctures a small hole in the mouth.

Now a couple of years ago wandering the James River Pier I watched someone get ticketed while changing the fish. Hey he had 3 when the "Man" walked up.

·
Administrator
5,774 Posts
A lot of a fish's ability to recover after release is dependent on the water temps. Don't even think about messing with stripers or pups when the water's hot in the late summer, but they seem to survive just fine when it's cold.

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Digger I see what you're saying, but along that same line, if you catch fish out of season and are practicing catch & release and not keeping any, and the "MAN" walks up on you while you're delicately holding the fish to unhook it, are you "in position" of that fish?? And if a tree falls in the woods with noone around to see or hear it does it really make a ....... well you know. Just my $.02 ;) Anyway how the heck do you work a stringer on a pier and why??!!

·
Registered
3,387 Posts
Under that situation you don't already have two fish in hand and as long as you put it back things are cool, most of the time they will watch you and not comment.
Besides I'm sure he got the chance to tell the Judge before the fine. I'm just describing what happened. Being in the water you would probably not have a problem.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts