Pier and Surf Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
DISTANCE CASTING SPONSOR
3,349 Posts
John,

I kinda doubt you are waiting to late. Most guys (myself included) have the tendency to come in too soon with the power and start the pull way early.

If you can wait until the left hand is out in front of your eyes (forehead even better) to begin the pull then you are on the money. This is best practiced OTG.

Watch Big Danny. He gets the left out and way up before he smashes it. One of the many reasons why he's the best in the world.

Tommy

·
Registered
831 Posts
John,

You could hardly get better advice than from Tommy, but I'll put my penny's worth in. The pull has to be consistent and progressive to keep the rod loaded, the final hit is what sends it that extra distance we all crave. The closer that hit is to the release the longer the distance, assuming ofcourse,the release itself is aimed and timed perfect. Fast twitch, and for me it is not so pronounced but it is there, that extra umph that loads the rod. Now if you got time to get that hit in with some violence, voila, distance.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Pull

So in other words, the intire forward swing should consist of a steady left pull with all you can give it at the very end. Thanks for the input guys, off to the practice field.

·
Registered
258 Posts
John,

I like to practice that with a broom handle indoors or a 12ft rod out doors. Training those muscles to perform that repetitive task has been tough for me.

LarryB

·
DISTANCE CASTING SPONSOR
3,349 Posts
John,

When you get the left fully extened and you begin the pull, PULL HARD, and pull hard until the end of the rod butt is up against your chest. At the same time you ar making this pull, punch hard up and out with the right.

This where you apply the violence. Up until this point everything is preload.

The powercast is very dynamic. It happends fast and the difference between a good full extension and not getting it happens in a fraction of a second.

Video helps tremendously.

Tommy

·
Registered
32 Posts
Three Phase stroke

The left hand pull is a progressive increase of speed and power, with changing direction.

If you start pulling hard too early in the cast you will pull it over the top, this happens because the right hand is not in position for the BIG PULL.

The cast is more of a PUSH-UP then PULL, than a PUSH and PULL. When you PUSH-UP and lock your right hand in place (extended fully), this will give the left hand something to pull against (that seesaw effect).

Always extend your left hand fully (locked in) before you turn into the cast.

I call the left hand pull my THREE PHASE STROKE, around down and in.

Phase (1) AROUND
This phase is more speed and control than power. This is when you pull the rod butt around the corner (in front of you) setting it up for the BIG HIT.
Phase (2) DOWN
This is the beginning of the power stroke, pulling the butt down to your chest height, leaving your hand as far away from your chest as possible.
Phase (3) IN
This is were the violence begins!!! Pulling the rod into the chest, Center-to-Right Brest, (break a rib).

This must be done with one progressive seamless motion. WAPP!!

Earl-DC
GOD BLESS!!!!

·
DISTANCE CASTING SPONSOR
3,349 Posts
The left hand pull is a progressive increase of speed and power, with changing direction.

If you start pulling hard too early in the cast you will pull it over the top, this happens because the right hand is not in position for the BIG PULL.

The cast is more of a PUSH-UP then PULL, than a PUSH and PULL. When you PUSH-UP and lock your right hand in place (extended fully), this will give the left hand something to pull against (that seesaw effect).

Always extend your left hand fully (locked in) before you turn into the cast.

I call the left hand pull my THREE PHASE STROKE, around down and in.

Phase (1) AROUND
This phase is more speed and control than power. This is when you pull the rod butt around the corner (in front of you) setting it up for the BIG HIT.
Phase (2) DOWN
This is the beginning of the power stroke, pulling the butt down to your chest height, leaving your hand as far away from your chest as possible.
Phase (3) IN
This is were the violence begins!!! Pulling the rod into the chest, Center-to-Right Brest, (break a rib).

This must be done with one progressive seamless motion. WAPP!!

Earl-DC
GOD BLESS!!!!
I agree with Earl, especially on phase 1. Earl is describing the same thing as when I say get it out in front of you eyes or forehead. This is arguably one of the hardest things to do in casting.... WAIT ON IT...lol

For me phase 2 and 3 are one. With the left out in front I concentrate on pulling hard to the chest in one motion. It's easy to spot on video when this doesn't happen, it becomes a two step process with the left hand stopping short of a full pull then completeing after the sinker is away. Takes slow motion to see it sometimes.

Tommy

·
Registered
32 Posts
Hi Diamondeyes

It sounds like you are releasing the Spool (line) too late in the cast, it’s a timing issue.
Too late: Hard left! Too early: Hard right!
You will have to experiment a little to get the right timing.

OR

It can also be that you were off balance, which can cause you to lose control of the sinker during the cast.
You must be in a balanced position with your feet planted firmly on the ground during THE HIT.

Dig two holes six inches deep in the ground and bury your feet in them! :confused:
NO!!;) Just kidding!!!!:D But you get the picture, it’s that important.

OR

At the end of your cast you were not lined-up properly to the center of the field.
To resolve this problem: Start from your ending position (your feet placement for THE HIT, (you should be in a balanced position where you can generate the most power)) then work your way back to your starting position (feet placement at the start of the cast). You objective will be to finish the cast (THE HIT) in the exact ending position you started with, you can use markers on the ground to keep track of your feet placement.

GOD BLESS!!!
Earl-DC
Ps. make a video of you cast and send me a copy.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.