Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know weve talked about everyones favorite fish to catch, but what is the fish or sea creature that you just hate to see when you reel it up.

My least favorite fish is the lizardfish. The got-cha plug treble hooks go up through their tiny little mouths and thier heads and it makes it impossible to get the hook out. I caught way too many of 'em last summer down at Rodanthe pier. The other "sea creature" is of course none other than the skate.

·
Registered
171 Posts
I caught a sea turtle once but i am not sure if that counts as sea creature...not sure if you were refering to fish only.. :cool:

·
Registered
239 Posts
Oyster toads. nasty litle creatures. Goofiest thing I ever reeled in was a skate/blowtoad combo. It came up like a pinwheel stuck to a baloon.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Yep, and I drove all the way to kipoteake to catch that slammer! I was the only person out there, and I was laughing like the clown boat just cruised by! The little puffer tried to look all menacing like he was gonna let me have it! It was a sad sight. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
36 Posts
gotta agree with fishwagon here. mud toads are pretty bad little bloaks. i caught one once that weighed in at 3.2 lbs. and they have big teeth and strong jaws.

·
Registered
4,408 Posts
3ft Atlantic Sharpnose. I swear to god if I catch one more of them, I'm going to start keeping my limit just so I can thin them out a bit. You could prolly walk out to the 3 mile buoy on their backs they're so thick.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Bar Dog! aka oyster toad... I saw a dude catch a stargazer the other night at rudee.......They have someting to avoid, but I can't remember....I just recommended he NOT grip the thing and to sacrafice the hook this time.......any knowledge on these things?

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
17 1/4 inch flounder in DE or a keeper rockfish after 12:00am in Maryland

·
Premium Member
831 Posts
Heard Stargazers are fantastic eats, though I've never caught one.

Least likely to make me smile, Oyster Toads and Eels........used to catch Toads so bad Flounder fishing, finally just quit fishing slack tide......Bet you can't quess what the first fish I ever caught was :(

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
Horse shoe crab and that cow nose ray :mad: :mad:

·
Registered
300 Posts
I really get sick of catching Rays/skates. I remember not too long ago at all that I was dying to catch one so I could get a closer look at them, but now...uh!

Though you rarely "catch" one, the blue crabs are kind of a pain in the but because those sneaky suckers will steal your bait so fast and you barely know.

I hate catching any fish that swallows the hook!

Blues are fun, but you have to be careful because they are hard to unhook and like to bite the fisherman. The baby blues are FEROCIOUS! lol...

Basicly though, anything that bites is ok to catch - better than starin at a motionless pole tip.

Have to say the worst thing I ever caught was a duck. Thats all to that story though.

·
Registered
8,022 Posts
Theres only one an that is th SQUAT aka skunk. Anything pulling on th line is better than nothing. ;)

1 - 20 of 39 Posts