Pier and Surf Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The 15 year old took a fancy to my cast net this past weekend and what a sight it was. He tried to learn with the 10ft. net, that one was a bit big. I got him a good starter net (4fter) and he seemed to do a bit better. It is hard to try and tell someone what they are doing wrong, I have been throwing so long I don't think, I just throw the thing.
I was taught by a mate on a charter boat many yeas ago, we started with a 8ft. net and it took me a while to master that, but every thing is a piece of cake now.
Who taught you to throw a cast net?

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Zigh the pleasure was all mine.

I fish with a guy that throws a 12ft. net. He puts half on his left shoulder and makes some complicated hand moves when he throws, IT OPENS perfectly every time. A 12ft. net opens to 24ft. when properly thrown, there is now way a mullet can swim out from under that. Once in Hatteras we found a school of mullet in a tidal pool, we walked the pool bunching the bait at the far end, one throw caught the whole school. It took 4 of us to pull the net to the beach, must have been 200lbs. of Mullet in that one cast.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.