Pier and Surf Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The 15 year old took a fancy to my cast net this past weekend and what a sight it was. He tried to learn with the 10ft. net, that one was a bit big. I got him a good starter net (4fter) and he seemed to do a bit better. It is hard to try and tell someone what they are doing wrong, I have been throwing so long I don't think, I just throw the thing.
I was taught by a mate on a charter boat many yeas ago, we started with a 8ft. net and it took me a while to master that, but every thing is a piece of cake now.
Who taught you to throw a cast net?

·
Registered
515 Posts
I have never heard two people teach throwing a castnet the same way. Everyone has their own little tips and tricks that I never could seem to follow.

This one guy in Frisco tried to show me by telling me to twirl around on the dock and then leap and throw. I think he just wanted to see my fat-butt spin off the deck into the landing slip. I'm sure that he and his buddies were laughing at me from inside the nearby bar.

Seeing the humor in it, that's I proceeded to teach my brother to throw it the following year. He actuall fell in ... I did not.

Several years later, and still struggling, I had just about given up learning how to do it, when finally one day, I realized I was left-handed when it came to throwing a castnet ... my wife found a tutorial with pictures on the internet on how to do it ... she printed them, we turned them upside down and backward, and BINGO, I could throw a castnet.

You should have seen the shocked look on both of our faces when that 1st practice throw off the back deck actually opened up like it was supposed to.

That's my story.

THROW MORE / SOME / MAYBE A FEW OF THE BIG ONES BACK

Jake Ace

·
Registered
3,746 Posts
I actually learned to throw one myself. I just picked one up and fiddled with it for a while until i found a comfortable way of throwing it. I am pretty good with one now but am no pro. I still throw it with a piece of it in my mouth. Some would say the novice way. A friend actually told me I throw it backwards for being right handed:rolleyes: Oh well guess thats what happens when you teach yourself. I have seen the one Kozlow is talking about and is very good for beginners. It practically is fool proof. It opens up almost every time.

·
Registered
691 Posts
nice meeting you Wilber

Hey Wilber...... Good meeting at the pier the other AM.. fishing wasn't that great but we had a good time just the same.. Hope to join up with you soon for a trip to the Rocks!!

As for the net gig, I taught myself and seem to get the thing to open properly about 75% of the time; however, my net must be low rent or something because it doesn't always close right. Then again, it's a little older now and has been in the trunk for a couple of years which probably doesn't help..........

:D
Zigh
><((((*>

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Zigh the pleasure was all mine.

I fish with a guy that throws a 12ft. net. He puts half on his left shoulder and makes some complicated hand moves when he throws, IT OPENS perfectly every time. A 12ft. net opens to 24ft. when properly thrown, there is now way a mullet can swim out from under that. Once in Hatteras we found a school of mullet in a tidal pool, we walked the pool bunching the bait at the far end, one throw caught the whole school. It took 4 of us to pull the net to the beach, must have been 200lbs. of Mullet in that one cast.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.