Pier and Surf Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if i could use 80lb or 40lb main line as a leader. The question is really is there any benefit to using the true leader line that comes in the 100 or 50 yd spools or could i just use reg. line that comes in the 300 + spools.

·
Registered
281 Posts
"Leader" line is stiffer and helps on certain rigs. I still have many times just used regular line of a different weight as the leader. I just about always use #60 off a big spool to make bottom / dropper rigs from and, spooled #20-25 for leaders on carolina rigs and with lures. Works fine.

·
Registered
892 Posts
If your offshore and you are trolling I think leader or fluoro is the way to go. On that same trip any lighter rods, like dolphin bailer rods, bottom bouncing rods, or heavier spinners or sight casting probably should just have heavier regular line or fluoro, as shocker, if the line weight wont support the cast. Leader material is stiffer and doesnt lend itself to tying good knots, and when the break strength increases it almost demands crimping. On the beach I havent seen a good application for leader material.

·
Registered
573 Posts
I think it really depends on what your fishing for. For the most part I use the rolled up crappy memory holding spools. I make allot of tog rigs outta 40lb. and use 40- 60 for chunking for stripers. For trout and lure fishing you can't beat the flurocarbon. But tomarrow when I'm out fishing the Ches bay for 80lb+ blacks and hopefully some trophy reds mixed in I will be using the leader that comes in the 100yard increments with little memory. I hate to loose fish and think its easier to handle vs a slinky and keeps your line from getting tangled since its pre-straightened.

·
Registered
547 Posts
I think it really depends on what your fishing for. For the most part I use the rolled up crappy memory holding spools. I make allot of tog rigs outta 40lb. and use 40- 60 for chunking for stripers. For trout and lure fishing you can't beat the flurocarbon. But tomarrow when I'm out fishing the Ches bay for 80lb+ blacks and hopefully some trophy reds mixed in I will be using the leader that comes in the 100yard increments with little memory. I hate to loose fish and think its easier to handle vs a slinky and keeps your line from getting tangled since its pre-straightened.
You mean when we're out on the bay and I'm catching 80+lb blacks and trophy reds.....:p

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.