Pier and Surf Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been working on the OTG cast for the past week and have become fairly consistent.
I mostly use fish finder rigs for all bottom fishing, and my question is, what length rig leader do you guys use for the OTG distance cast?
Also do you compensate how far you hang your weight (from rod tip) at casting depending on your bottom rig length?

·
Registered
58 Posts
I've been working on the OTG cast for the past week and have become fairly consistent.
I mostly use fish finder rigs for all bottom fishing, and my question is, what length rig leader do you guys use for the OTG distance cast?
Also do you compensate how far you hang your weight (from rod tip) at casting depending on your bottom rig length?
The length of shock leader depends on the length of the rod and your drop from the rod tip. You'd ideally want 5 or 6 turns on the reel when ready to cast.

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
Welcome to the world of distance casting!:)....There are alot of threads in the distance casting ...I have been practicing for about two years now and I don't think the leader question should have too much inpact on begininners....I use a 12 in leader with bait.

I wish I had the money to pay for lessons etc when I first started so if you can afford lessons I would suggest that....I'm addicted to distance surf casting and fishing and I would say practice practic practice..good luck!:fishing:

oh yeah don't forget the shock leader as said before....5 times around the reel and heave away!

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys for replying. I've got the shock leader down as you stated. What I'm referring to is the actual bottom rig leader attached to the shock leader. Normally I will use a 18" to 30" fish finder rig, and I did not know if I should shorten my rigs due to the fact you have weight hanging the length of your rod to your reel for the OTG cast.

·
Registered
5,354 Posts
I use a 2" FFrig and a Cannonball rig. The cannonball is a total of 30" or so. The tag end keeps the weight pinned close to the hook so it does not heilocopter when casted but releases the weight on splash down.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts