Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
689 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, liveling small spot, perch off of the piersin the maryland bay waters, what pound test do you like, leader line name, and length of leader, please. Also, do you prefer, a grouper like rig, with egg sinker above the barrel swivel, or what??

Trying to think like a rockfish--What is most natural presentation of a live bait, to throw in front of his face. Before I forget, what about hook size, type, short/long shank etc..
Thanks--Steve

P.S. Where is the best place to hook the live spot??

·
Registered
633 Posts
Well cant help you much here steve since we are so far apart but down here i used to use live bait hooks but i think im going to try out circle hooks! Due to the fact that today i gut hooked for the first time a nurse shark, god i felt bad there was nothing i could do, it will probably live since i took off the weight and those hooks are supposed to disolve right, right??? anyway im going to try out circles i think most people on here would agree on em too! if your live lining then you arent really going to pitch the bait at em, but if you have to dont just throw it in his face come on, fish arent the smartest beings in the planet but i believe they are aware that food just doesnt fall from the sky, i hope! hook size, i believe i heard somebody here say something like a 7/0 circle would do good, i believe it was ruddedogg! well ive never caught a spot, i believe we dont have em down her but if their like pinfish, grunts, pilchards or thread herring, the best place is in the mouth! First you get the fish and secure him in your hands then you get your hook and put it through his bottom lip, then take it out by the cartilage that they have in the roof of their mouths! this should hold quite well, once youve tried it once or twice you will know what cartilage im talking about, its were it gets kind of hard, watch out though couse if you take the hook back too far you can kill him! Well thats about all i can tell you, i have NO experience whatsoever in your case some expert will hop in soon enough though! tight lines man!

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
Threw the nose or mouth will work:If you get your hands on Spot/Live Elwive take them to Kent Narrows if it aint too crowed and drift them in the current with 1-3 1/8oz spilt shots with circles in the 2/0-7/0 size flourcarbon 40-50lb test leader of 24-36" with a #8 swivel.

·
Registered
372 Posts
I agree I use this presentation a pier close to deep water. just like I on the boat only difference is rod length. When I'm fishin in a strong current off the pier I use a three way rig set up with 18-36" dropper line and a 2-4' 40-50lb. leader. With me hook size and style is a matter of preference. I go with Kahle and treble 4- 2/0 for schoolies and 5/0-8/0 circles for big mamas. I almost always nose hook larger live baits like alwive and spot. Another way I fish when room allows is under a large slip bobber like virginia fisherman use with eels. Thats relatively easy its just like fishing slip bobbers for bass and sunfish but I dont want to tell you anything u already know. I hope that helps

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
From a pier in MD, tie your running line to a barrel swivel and use 3' of 30#-40# mono (Stren Hi Impact)...no weight. Spot and perch swim right down where the big fish are. If there is a strong current, the lightest egg sinker you can get away with is the ticket. If the pier is high off the water and/or you expect to catch a wopper...a long shock leader comes in handy. Always use circle hooks...through the upper mouth and out the nose.

I basically "free lined" my live bait.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
main line to barrel swivel to 2ft 40-60lb whatever line (i use whatever i bring from fluro leader to big game mono) to a 5/0 Owner SSW Bait Hook in the upper lip through the nose of the spot. no weight. this has been golden for me in the bay this year. if blues are around, and you wan tot get you fish down quick, 1oz inline or egg sinker max.

i dont like using circle hooks for livelining, but i also keep the rod in my hand at all times waiting for the spot to "go nuts." the bass will hit and once the bass turns, set the hook.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts