Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
862 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I do not know about you guys but I can remember great places to hand launch boats into public waters that have been goofed up by people who do not want you to do so. You know the guy who lives across the street puts stakes in the ground or guys that string ropes from their docks to the shoreline so you can not cast their bank. I always thought (well the thoughts that I can write on this board) that there ought to be a law. Well there is. I listed it below. One of the bills currently in the legislature (HB 496 would even strenthen it.

Tom

PS Of course this does not include fencing, etc. on private property.

§ 62.1-194.1. Obstructing or contaminating state waters.

Except as otherwise permitted by law, it shall be unlawful for any person to dump, place or put, or cause to be dumped, placed or put into, upon the banks of or into the channels of any state waters any object or substance, noxious or otherwise, which may reasonably be expected to endanger, obstruct, impede, contaminate or substantially impair the lawful use or enjoyment of such waters and their environs by others. Any person who violates any provision of this law shall be guilty of a misdemeanor and upon conviction be punished by a fine of not less than $100 nor more than $500 or by confinement in jail not more than twelve months or both such fine and imprisonment. Each day that any of said materials or substances so dumped, placed or put, or caused to be dumped, placed or put into, upon the banks of or into the channels of, said streams shall constitute a separate offense and be punished as such.

In addition to the foregoing penalties for violation of this law, the judge of the circuit court of the county or corporation court of the city wherein any such violation occurs, whether there be a criminal conviction therefor or not shall, upon a bill in equity, filed by the attorney for the Commonwealth of such county or by any person whose property is damaged or whose property is threatened with damage from any such violation, award an injunction enjoining any violation of this law by any person found by the court in such suit to have violated this law or causing the same to be violated, when made a party defendant to such suit.

·
Registered
885 Posts
Tom,
Good work on finding that law. It doesn't seem to solve the problem of fences claiming that an area is private property or that we cannot cross private property to get to public waters even though it is a city owned street. I seem to remember a federal [or maybe State] law that establishes a certain distance from the low or high water line as public property.
Over here in Portsmouth, the only access to the water is City Park, TCC [which I've heard is to be sold]and The Jordon Bridge. Everything else is fenced off by buisnesses or private property. Do you or anybody else know of any laws that would help?

·
Registered
862 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The only law that I know about has to do with access below meal low water from the water. They can not block that. Thus you can wade anywhere you want.

As far as public/private property is concerned an afternoon at the tax assessor's office and you can see who owns what in a particular location.

I understand that York County is on line but maybe that is just the numbers not the maps.

Tom

·
Registered
232 Posts
This scenario is what I noticed at Chicks Beach. "No Parking" signs literally every 30 feet. Nice place to fish, but parking for a 'non-resident' was virtually impossible. I just left and went to Lynnhaven. Thanks for the gouge!

Macman

·
Registered
3,387 Posts
York Co is one line as far as the plots and layout of the land. But I did not notice the name's. It could be in a different data base. It is great what they have there.

Macman were those city signs? Or resident signs? Because I never had a problem parking there.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Digger,

I was with my bro-n-law and we agreed they looked like real city signs. Also, during that time the roads were being resurfaced, so the no parking signs did make sense. I'll return later and scout it again to see if the signs disappear. ;)

Macman

·
Registered
862 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The interesting thing about the proposed change to the law is that it would include all areas in the 100 year flood plain. Heck 95% of the of Poquoson is in the 100 year flood plain.

Tom

PS On the no parking signs at Chic's beach. If you are not blocking a driveway and it is not marked by city signs then (in theory) you can park there. I used to live down there and one of my roommates painted a big no parking sign on the white wall at in the last block of Fentress Ave. Of course it did not mean any thing but some people believed it. Actually the best parking deterent was to put a few trash cans out there. No body is willing to move a trash can in order to get a parking spot.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts