Pier and Surf Forum banner

Late ES Report

2K views 14 replies 9 participants last post by  Salty 
#1 ·
Gonna keep it short and sweet. Hit the ES last Fri with Dr. Bubba and a few others to hit the surf. Pickin's were slim, but we lucked into a few. There were a few skates caught and shark or two. Bubba got a nice 30" rockfish and a few of his prized sea mullet. I got the lucky arse award beaching a nice 47 to 48" red. There be feesh out there in those waters. :eek:

Tight lines and blue skies,

Salty

#6 ·
I am still contemplating on making the ES trip,with my buddy.He has a 14 foot Carolina Skiff,
2 questions:
1)will the skiff make it out there in 1-2 foot swells?
2)where can I get charts to the honey holes?
3)how much walkin do yall do?
4)He is not too sure where to launch-VB side or @the HRBT.

#7 ·
If you're going to make that trip in a 14' Carolina Skiff forget everything else, just make sure you're wearing a reinforced jock-strap for those big,brass,BA!!Z ; oh yeah you might also need a good water-proof radio and real good lifejackets. Seriosly though, if it were me I believe I'd pay the CBBT toll and trailer accross to the shore!!

#10 ·
Does that 1-2 ft seas include the boat wake from the huge ships that go across the shipping channel? Plus, there are some shoals the can get pretty thin (5' or so) then hit deep water. When a swell or wake hits this, it'll create a huge wave (oceanography 101). I was on a 24' CC on a 2' day and we got hit by a wave crossing Latimar shoals.

#11 ·
Its a tough trip over there. Not really for the faint of heart sometimes too. Probably the tough part is actually getting over an island (that you are allowed on), navigating through a maze of backwaters and marsh. Then you have to get through poorly marked lagoons, where the water can go from 10' to nothing in the turn of a prop. Can't really depend on charts. There is a good deal of walking involved, and toting gear. And, then there are the bugs... not even going to get into that though. It's a pretty tough gig, but sometimes it's worth it.

Tight lines and blue skies,

Salty

#14 ·
yeah, Flea is the man!
BTW Salty, he's upset we didn't invite him, but I told him he woulda been even more upset if we would have, and THEN told him he couldn't come....:eek:

But yeah, it ain't an easy gig by any means, and that doesn't even include the boat ride. That's why we've been going with a local.

Be careful out there folks!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.