Pier and Surf Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New to the area near Emerald Isle nc, was wondering if anybody could give me some info on sharking. I used to live in NJ and was huge into LBSF caught hundreds of browns and sand tigers over the years. I got all the right gear Avet 80w spooled with 1700 yds of 130 hollow core and a 200 yd 200lb top shot of mono I use 24/0 circles with 530lb test 30’ mono leader I’ve heard mixed things about dropping distances and times and places to go. Is radio island a good spot for the mid size sharks? Off the main beach I’ll be Targeting tigers or hammers any info or stories are appreciated

·
Registered
138 Posts
You have a really good setup, imho. I saw a smallish tiger (maybe 5-foot or so) landed at Radio Island Pier last year, but that really surprised me. I prefer for them off the beach. I use a wire bite leader with duct tape on my fishfider. But your rig sounds good enough to me.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Id give it a try out in front of point emerald blvd. Go about 350yds to start that is kind of a mid point. Incoming tide your stuff should want to go in the inlet and out going it should get swept the opposite direction. Expect to have a big bow in your line when fishing long drops close to inlets. This water movement is good it carries your baits scent further and increases odds of fish moving past and bait coming by. Usually close to inlets there are sandbars and channels or holes. All good target zones to drop your bait. The mullet run should start soon and this is also a good place to stage since large schools of bait will likely be coming out the inlet and holding near them for the next few weeks. Sunset, sunrise, the first nocturnal hrs 9ish to 11ish at night, tide switch, weather change, wind, rain, storms, moon phase, tide/color lines, bait schools and a few more factors produce bites. In general the out going is good outside the inlet and the incoming is good inside the inlet. Different spots have different patterns. Pay attention to the water and what's going on in it. The good spot at good spot might shift with the tide and weather patterns. Keep a detailed log of your catches and you will notice a lot of patterns. Fishing the same spot will teach you a lot about bite patterns. Sometimes its a ghost town some times its fire you got to figure out when to get your success to go up.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts