Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
fished the azalea gardens side of Lake Whitehurst today, after a long day of waiting for the thunderstorms to come through, they finally did. Carp fishing seemed to be in good shape after the rainstorm, bass might aswell have been non-existant. Lots of 2-4" Gizzard shad up and popping, loaded the cast net a few times and headed over to a dock to soak some chunks...all told, 5 cats, ranging 12-25" with the biggest being a channel, and two of the smallest, brown bullheads...The channel came home for dinner tomorrow, and no he's not a guest...thinking i'll head back out there tomorrow, if i dont hit lynnhaven...

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
great report!!! great eating!!! tight lines...

·
Registered
63 Posts
Great report, good to hear of someone catching something in that lake! Were you fishing by the botanical gardens entrance near the island with all of the piers? I've heard there are a lot of cats up around there.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yep, i always fish the botanical gardens side, fished there again this am and got another nice channel (about 20") and lost two more nice ones...i eitherr fish the last dock on the island, or the one that is right on the road (closest access to the depest edges on that side of the lake)...live/cut shiners and shad were the baits of choice this am...

·
Registered
4,346 Posts
How's the carp fishing there? I wouldn't mind going after a few of those for fun.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
How's the carp fishing there? I wouldn't mind going after a few of those for fun.
carp are large and in force...bring a bag o' bread, or a can of corn and have at em...was kikin myself in the butt for not bringing either today...pm me if you need anymore info...

·
Registered
4,346 Posts
Give Wheaties a try. Take a handful and dunk them under water until they soften a bit, then crunch them up and dunk em again. You can add a little artificial vanilla extract as well. Then crush it up in your hand into a ball and put it on a treble hook around the whole hook. I used to catch carp for hours using this in the Ohio River. Let us know how it works out too!

·
Registered
495 Posts
Give Wheaties a try. Take a handful and dunk them under water until they soften a bit, then crunch them up and dunk em again. You can add a little artificial vanilla extract as well. Then crush it up in your hand into a ball and put it on a treble hook around the whole hook. I used to catch carp for hours using this in the Ohio River. Let us know how it works out too!
wheaties... havent heard that one.

ive used dog food, cat food, break, corn, even bubble gum with success. but wheaties sounds good, and will give you something to snack on.

ill have to give it a go...

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ever have any luck with the Walleye in there?

Ben
fall/early spring fisheries are peak for walleyes out there...buddys of mine have caught them on roostertails, nightcrawler harness rigs, etc. my only one caught on hook was on a jig-head tipped with a large shiner...have caught many more in the cast net going for shad...the lake is full of them...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts