Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it me or have the big chopper bluefish been non-existent this fall? I have seen and heard of quite a few of the smaller guys, under 18", being caught during October. However, I have yet to see any posts or reports of the chopsters between 28"-34" being caught? Anybody have any information?

I'm making probably one of my last trips of the year this Saturday, and although we are primarily looking for drum it would be nice to hook up with one like the one I caught this spring.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Hmm. I have't caugth any big boys yet. All the snapper and taylors you could ever want. The bigguns were here this spring, albeit rather skinny. Hopefully they went up north and got good and fat, and are heading down this way!!!

·
Registered
4,011 Posts
As a matter of fact I spoke to a guy that his bro in law said that the big sissy fish (stripers) and the chopper blues have been running wild up North and should be headed this way as we speak. Now if they show up is another story but we can always hope. :D

·
Registered
173 Posts
Based on recent history, it is very early for big blues. IF they show (big if), it is usually around Thanksgiving to early January. They have been really spotty for the past few years though...very sporadic. The spring bait bite has been much more reliable than the fall blitzes.

·
Premium Member
10,102 Posts
Based on recent history, it is very early for big blues. IF they show (big if), it is usually around Thanksgiving to early January. They have been really spotty for the past few years though...very sporadic. The spring bait bite has been much more reliable than the fall blitzes.
Took the words right out of my mouth... Big fall bluefish start on Thanksgiving,sometimes into New years,if they make it here....

PS Unlike the spring blues that Mike was refering to,the fall blues will be fat and pull like a big dog... ;)

·
Registered
5,354 Posts
Yep a little soon yet for them Choppers. We hit them New Years 3 years ago at OI.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Yep a little soon yet for them Choppers. We hit them New Years 3 years ago at OI.
That was a good year for convicts as well. Looking at Rutgers if things continue the way they have been we may get lucky and have a good cold season. I just hope the bait is around enough to bring em and keep em. It seems like the last few years the bait fish haven't been around in the numbers they used to be.

·
Registered
200 Posts
As of two weeks ago the choppers 8-12 lb blues had left the upper bay headed south so lower bay should be seeing them as this weekend comes (and people get out) then it is only a matter of days especally now that the water temps have plunged

1 - 9 of 9 Posts