Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can you hook me up with an offshore port canaveral fishing report? I'm coming home next week and I want to get out there probably on Saturday....not messing around this time, big 13 gallon trash can for a baitbucket, 2 cool bubbles, and an extra rod with a sabiki rig on it, I'm going to come home with some grouper this time!

·
Registered
2,214 Posts
I don't think anyone has been out there with the high winds and seas Joe . Everyone has been hitting the the Flats or tied to the dock .

Weekend, Dec. 5-7, 2003

PORT CANAVERAL

OFFSHORE-If anyone can get out there, kings may be on the 80- to 90-foot reefs and blackfin tuna action should start around the 180-foot mark.

OFFSHORE-It's doubtful that anyone will get out with the predicted forecast, so it's a guess as to what might be waiting offshore. No one has been out in so long that it will be a hit-or-miss proposition. Look for potential blackfin tuna and wahoo from the 28 Fathom Ridge out. King mackerel should be on the 80- to 90-foot reefs.

Updated for Dec. 5, 2003
FLORIDA TODAY

Saltwater: When water conditions are good, anglers are getting decent catches of flounder at Sebastian Inlet and Port Canaveral. At Sebastian, the flounder are coming along both sides of the inlet, along the shallows near the rocky edges as well as in deeper water near the channel. Live finger mullet is the best bait, however other live baits and curly tail jigs are also accounting for catches. At Port Canaveral, flounder are hitting the same baits at Sebastian and are holding along seawalls, dock pilings, rocky jetties and other structures.

Bluefish catches are good in the surf despite rough waves or windy conditions. Spoons, cut and live finger mullet and jigs are all working well. Anglers might need to use heavy 5 ounce pyramid sinkers when using live or cut bait due to the strong waves and undertow. Whiting and pompano catches will resume when water conditions clear.

Redfish are schooling along the northern end of the Indian River, near Port St. John and Titusville, as well as over much of the Banana River and Mosquito Lagoon. Area guides are reporting good conditions for sight-casting to fish in shallow water as long as winds permit. On windy days, anglers are finding protection along spoil islands and in bays when targeting the reds. Seatrout are often mixed with the redfish and anglers are reminded to release all trout unharmed due to the closed season.

Thats the best I can do , due to the weather we have been having .
Maybe by thursday of nxt week we will all have a better idea as to what going on out there . ? I will keep my eyes and ears open for ya .

·
Registered
34 Posts

The charter fishing boat Rainbow III fights huge waves Thursday morning as it plows its way past the north jetty at Ponce de Leon Inlet, Daytona Beach, FL.

Is Daytona near PC??? I don't know

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
is eem to remember as being about an hour north

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Daytona is right there, thats horrendous. Perhaps I wont be going deep sea fishing when I go home....I had no idea it was so rough.

·
Registered
2,214 Posts
Offshore PC Report 12/5 by Sure Thing

I couldn't stand it any longer as my new boat has sat for a couple weeks and I can't do much else to it. My buddy and I hauled out to the weather buoy and other than a little chop in the buoy pattern it was a nice 25 knot run. We got to the buoy and there were birds everywhere, flying fish galore and a nice weedline running east and west. The water was green and clean and 75 degrees. We got the spread out and picked up a 18# cow right away. My buddy then turned as green as the cow and began rejecting his breakfast. We picked up a 12# bull and one more cow at 14#all before 10:30. The breeze we had began to "freshen up" so I started trolling west. Had one more knock down and the clip on the outrigger hung shut so when I tried to free it, I broke the line. The bull on the other end, gaffer, jumped as far as i could watch as he headed west with 50 yards of 30# High Vis and a blue and white Ilander in his lip. Then the weather went to he!! and we got hosed running in. The new Cobia ran great and got us out and back in when we shopuld have probably stayed home.

It wasn't too bad when we first got out, about a 5 or 6 foot roller with a little chop. About 1030 the wind really picked up out of the NW. The swells stayed ok but the chop built out of the west and it got a little snotty. We did see one big cobia on a turtle in 50 foot on the way out but by the time we fumbled around it sounded. Water temp was 69 or 70 until 100 foot then it bumped to 74 and topped off at 77 at the buoy. I'm hoping we'll start getting some cobes in short order here as conditions look right.
Final tally 3 dolphin.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts