Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a not-so-bright episode last night at I.R.I. while casting a storm lure on the north side by the coast guard station I threw the top half of my 2 piece 9ft tica spin rod right in the drink...What a humbling event for my first trip out in 3 weeks.Thankfully I didnt have a audience.
Im sure you many of you guys have had some INTERSTING things happen to ya out there.Feel free to share

Oh yeah didnt catch a thing but I was only there for about 45 minutes.Kinda lost intrest after losing the top half of one of my favorite rods.

#%^&&*()??

·
Registered
4,211 Posts
funny you mention that

cause some years back I tried my hand at using one of those closed face spin casting reels. The line had gotten caught and I had to open it up. Right then I dropped the front portion and watched helplessly as it rolled and bounced along a few pier boards til it found the widest crack on the pier. And down it went. Splash, and that was the end of my fishing trip. I didn't have another rod nor a spare reel.:mad:

Sorry bout your loss.

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
Last time I went to IRI I almost lost a cooler,my tackle,and a bucket with sinkers;but I did lose a rod/reel and a gaff:( .I was about to jump in after my stuff;but it's not worth it:jawdrop: .Of corse I got skunked and lost my stuff on a FLOOD TIDE.

·
Registered
7,062 Posts
I did the same thing, casted out and there went the top half. Lucky I was able to retrieve it.

Catman.

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Greetings All!

Once while fishing off a wharf on the Potomac in DC my fishing buddy Carol dropped the only set of keys to the rental car through a crack in the boards. That was about 8:00 AM and the tow truck didn't show up until after 4:00 PM. We did catch some nice carp off the wharf, including Carol's 20 pound personal best. Carol now has a collection of floating key chains....

·
Registered
4,323 Posts
Old fishing story...

Here's a true event that happened when I lived in San Diego (Fish Country USA ). I have posted this before on the MD/DE Forum.

Picture this:

San Diego, CA - A crowded fishing pier in the early morning hours. The pier is about 30' above the water and the only way to get your catch up onto the pier is with a long yank of the rod while yelling "heads-up"!

A bunch of us regulars are catching mackeral and bonito on "bonito splashers", a rig which consists of a cast-a-bubble partially filled with water followed by a large, white bucktail streamer. The intent is to cast out and reel frantically to make the bubble splash. The bonito come up to take a lookie-lookie, see the white bucktail and the rest is history. You yank the fish over the rail and continue fishing.

Three guys (Let's call one of them "Joe Bongo") come on to the pier with brand new fishing equipment. After they put line on their reels, they hook up some bonito splashers and start working the water. Two of them are fishing the end of the pier which faces open water, and their friend "Joe Bongo" fishes the pier area behind them which faces the shoreline behind them.

One guy finally hooks a large mackeral, plays it for awhile, and finally gets it to the pier. He give a quick yell of "Heads up!" to let everyone know the fish is coming "uptown". Then in a feat of strength not seen on this planet, gives it the strongest yank I have ever witnessed in my life. The mackeral "shoots" straight out of the air (straight up - mind you!), and proceeds to go airborne like a sub-launched nuclear warhead on its way to Russia! The regulars all start chattering "This is going to be good!" and scatter like roaches from bug spray ("Houston, we have a problem?").

The mackeral finally reaches the end of it's upward momentum and starts coming down at lightning speed and hits "Joe Bongo" (their buddy on the other end of the pier) SMACK IN THE BACK OF THE HEAD. Stunned, he tries to get up but is so dizzy from the mackeral that brought him to his knees that he can not even move! He yells and screams at his buddies and they end up in a fist-fight.

And the regulars laughed their butts off! It was probably a good half hour before anyone could resume fishing!

That is my .02.

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
Great story. I was just picturing it in my head and I couldn't stop laughing. Oh I have done the losing of the top half of a rod by casting before.
-Anthony

·
Registered
3,744 Posts
Nice story sandcrab still just as funny as when you said it before! I too am guilty of losing the top half of my rod but with my line still attached so I could just reel it in. Oh forgot last weekend when fishing PAX. I reeled my poles in and set them down. I picked up my 12 footer and was trying to cast it out. Just as I am turning and bringing my rod over my head for a huge cast my bottom rig catches on to my other pole on the ground. The force of my cast lifts my other pole and smacks me in the back(ouch) and goes into the drink a few feet in front of me. I thought I was clear until Anthony said "Nice one, I saw that" He asked if I was hurt. I said no little sore but my pride was bruised. Come to think of it if my pole didn't hit me in my back it would have probably been about 100 ft out in the water! So at least I didn't lose my pole(only good thing about it)

·
Registered
54 Posts
I couldn't even begin to top the mackeral story but this was pretty good.
A friend was surf fishing at the Virginia tip of Assateague Island with a 15' rod (new to him) He was also using a sand spike that was about 3' high. At some point during the festivities, he developed a minor problem with his reel and placed the rod in the sandspike to take care of the problem. His rig (with a 4 oz. pyramid sinker) was reeled all the way to the tip. That rig was some 18' in the air and Frank is a tad over 6'. If my high school math is holding up, that is about a 12' difference. As his first move to correct the reel malfunction, he opened the bail. The 4 oz. pyramid led the entire rig (with a couple of juicy pieces of cut spot) in an all out assault on the top of his cranium. It took about 10 minutes to determine that he would probably survive the incident but it was touch and go for a while. Needless to say, his day was over and by nightfall the 15 footer had become 3 5 footers living in a dumpster somewhere in Accomac County. He decided that dying on the beach was not such a bad thing but having it happen while two of his best friends were rolling around on the beach laughing was a bad thing.

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
I totally forgot about that. That was a site to see. I could tell that your pride was more hurt than anything else. I guess in the end, it was good that it hit you instead of being slung 100 feet out.
-Anthony

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
hooked a citation lrg mouth in a pond on a zebco 202 reel the reel started screaming try to reel in nothing worked ended up dragging that monster out by hand 2 days later same pond different reel hooked my own self with a large rappala minnow with the trebble hooks had to pack up and ride a bicycle 1 mile then called an ambulance to cut the hooks free plus to make matters even worse i was also grounded at the time and got my @ss kicked when pops got home :eek: aaahhhh to be young again :D

·
Registered
230 Posts
knuckle heads

while fishing at plo some years ago, three fishing buddies came on the pier and it was clear that they at been drinking heavily. one of the men pulled in an undersized rockfish about 12 inches long and proceeded to put it in his cooler. we told him that he could not keep the fish but mumbled something at us and continued to fish. the warden came onto the pier.he opened their cooler and saw the rockfish.the warden explained that they had an illegal fish in their posession. the drunk man explained to the warden without hesitation that the fish was DEAD WHEN THEY CAUGHT IT. THIS MADE EVERYONE THAT COULD HEAR THIS LAUGH EVEN THE WARDEN. HE DUMPED THE CONTENTS OF THEIR COOLER AND ASKED THEM TO LEAVE THE PIER.

·
Registered
960 Posts
FLF, Glad it hit you in the back and not being launched in to the water, it was probally my pole too...lol that damn curse

·
Registered
3,744 Posts
Nah Axon It was my 8 ft pole. It felt like a club just hit me in the back. Kind of scared me a bit. I am telling you though if it didn't hit me it was going out pretty far.:D

1 - 15 of 15 Posts