Pier and Surf Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, I know there are going to be plenty of various answers to this one but I have to ask. Basically a 2 part question.

When tieing shock leader to mono, I'm using #120 Power Pro to a #15 mono, what knot is the perfered choice? I am currently using a Double Uni but having problems with the knot holding when I hook up to larger fish over 25Lbs.

I have tried several other knots, Albright Special, Blood Knot etc., but the D-Uni seems to be the smallest for going through the eyes with less effort.

Does anyone have any expierance using a Cyanate type glue on the braid side of the knot?

·
Registered
983 Posts
ok, ill be the first to make this statement for this thread.....there is NO perfect knot........there are several different ways to do it............personally i would never use a braid shock leader, but thats just me, some guys do, some of us dont...........but if i was in your position, i would double up the PP using a spider hitch knot, or a bimini twist, then tie your double uni knot using that, iv tried it that way several times (braid running line with a top shot of mono or flourocarbon) and iv never had a slip

hope this helps bud
tight lines and God bless :fishing:

·
Registered
2,595 Posts
If you are insistent on using the braid as the shock leader, try a few more wraps on the braid side of the uni knot (4-5 for the mono, 8-10 for the braid). Braid does not have the "bite" that mono has so it needs more wraps.

However, since you're already using mono running line, why not try a mono shock leader?

·
Registered
126 Posts
Mono to mono is the way to go in my experiences.
The Albright works best for me it does take a while to master and this is where finding a QUALITY tackle shop pays for itself. A good salesman won't let you leave with HIS knot but shall have the patience for you to walk out of there with one tied by YOU.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Good trains of thought so far.

I guess I should be more specific in the rig I am using this on to help with some solutions. I use this on a 15' rod with a spinner for mid range distance casting when I am targeting Cobia. Using 5-6 oz weight. I need to be able to hit 150 yds at a minimum to say 200 yds, depending on tide situations.

I have no problems with the knots holding during casting, just after hooking the larger weighted fish.

·
Registered
568 Posts
I think the first question schould be: How many turns are you making on the mono and braid?
When using similar diameters of mono and braid, PowerPro says: Starting with the PowerPro, make 6 to 8 wraps through the loop and pull to tighten. Do the same with the mono except 4 or 5 wraps are enough. Pull on the tag end. Look to see that the wraps don't cross over each other.
Pull on the standing lines to jam the knots together. Trim.
http://www.powerpro.com/using/uniuni.asp
When I tie mine which is 65,80 and sometimes 100lb braid to 20lb mono.I make 6 wraps with the PPro and just snug the line up,then I wrap the mono 5 times and snug up.Then I pull it all together and pull on the tag ends again.If you don't spit or wet the line before snuging or tightening the line,they will cut into each other and break under pressure.There's no such thing as too much spit.
I would drop down on the PPro to 80lb to keep the diameters similar.That 80 probaly breaks around 100lb.If you ever get hung up on 65lb PPro and need to break it off,you better weigh 250+lbs or better I just don't have enough a$$ to break off 65 from a pier using a wood dowel.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
OK, Followed everything said here on the uni. Even went as high as 10 turns and still get some slipping. I have seen photos of the slim beauty knot, not all that complicated, but mine turn out nothing like the pictures or video. http://www.netknots.com/html/slim_beauty_knot.html

Several weeks agio I happened upon some aussi site that had this article about using cyanate glues on spectra lines and touting it to be the next best thing to a fishing hook. Just wish I had saved the link to it.

·
Registered
4,011 Posts
I see all kinds of trouble here but since everyone has been good so far I will hope to keep it that way (thanks guys)

The one problem is usally if the glue hits the mono toss it because the glue usally kills any mono it touches. I know fresh water guys will glue the braid knots so no slippage but just make sure that no glue touches the mono.

I don't know what size cobias your going after but 15lb line is a bit on the small side to fight such a beast but I guess if your casting out 150 yds to 200 yds you are the man.

·
Registered
568 Posts
There are several different kinds of spectra adhesives that are made for wind-on leaders.Jerry Brown makes one and Swifty.I would go to a local fly tackle shop and ask what they use. I have even heard of people using super glue but I'm not sure of the results. Let us know what works out for you.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Good trains of thought so far.

I guess I should be more specific in the rig I am using this on to help with some solutions. I use this on a 15' rod with a spinner for mid range distance casting when I am targeting Cobia. Using 5-6 oz weight. I need to be able to hit 150 yds at a minimum to say 200 yds, depending on tide situations.

I have no problems with the knots holding during casting, just after hooking the larger weighted fish.
Oops, meant to read "I need to be able to hit 150 ft at a minimum to say 200 ft, depending on tide situations.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I see all kinds of trouble here but since everyone has been good so far I will hope to keep it that way (thanks guys)

The one problem is usally if the glue hits the mono toss it because the glue usally kills any mono it touches. I know fresh water guys will glue the braid knots so no slippage but just make sure that no glue touches the mono.

I don't know what size cobias your going after but 15lb line is a bit on the small side to fight such a beast but I guess if your casting out 150 yds to 200 yds you are the man.
ya got something to say, by all means feel free...

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
ive used krazyglue on my knots before. works fine.
just put a small drop on the braid uni only. roll it around so itll cover the line.
heres the important part. making it dry really really fast.

put some spit on your thumb and index finger. make sure your fingers are wet.. so the glue doesnt stick to your finger.
pinch braid uni and smooth it with spit real quick . the glue drys instantly when it hits water.
itll turn hazy white though.. but at least its dry. (useful if there are fish in sight)

but i still dont understand why you get slippage..
on my spinning gear. i use 15# to powerpro 80# without glue. uni to uni. pulled in heavy rays with no problem.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
ive used krazyglue on my knots before. works fine.
just put a small drop on the braid uni only. roll it around so itll cover the line.
heres the important part. making it dry really really fast.

put some spit on your thumb and index finger. make sure your fingers are wet.. so the glue doesnt stick to your finger.
pinch braid uni and smooth it with spit real quick . the glue drys instantly when it hits water.
itll turn hazy white though.. but at least its dry. (useful if there are fish in sight)

but i still dont understand why you get slippage..
on my spinning gear. i use 15# to powerpro 80# without glue. uni to uni. pulled in heavy rays with no problem.

Thanks for the tip! Think I am going to give this a try using some Swifty Benthook mentioned.

Not real sure why I am getting slippage when I tie onto the #15 mono. I dont have the same problem when tieing onto #20 or #30. Might be the brand of the #15. It is Herflex mono. (Not impressed with it so far. Tends to hold too much memory)

·
Premium Member
10,102 Posts
OK, I know there are going to be plenty of various answers to this one but I have to ask. Basically a 2 part question.

When tieing shock leader to mono, I'm using #120 Power Pro to a #15 mono, what knot is the perfered choice? I am currently using a Double Uni but having problems with the knot holding when I hook up to larger fish over 25Lbs.

I have tried several other knots, Albright Special, Blood Knot etc., but the D-Uni seems to be the smallest for going through the eyes with less effort.

Does anyone have any expierance using a Cyanate type glue on the braid side of the knot?
Just an observation,and also jmo...

We catch cobes in NC around May through end of July.. Most of us here sightcast for them with jigs.. Many of us,including myself use braided line to cast with and not mono.. Since you seem to have distance as an issue,wouldn't braid be the better running line?? Not sure if you are using a spinner or a conventional,but braid works much better for me on a spinner??

Just a suggestion: Why not use 20lb braid as running line,and attach it to the 120lb pp one you are using now? You could attach the two with a double uni,put a few extra wraps,add glue if you like as well. Also IF you wanted a mono leader so as to be able to handle the fish up close without gloves you could attach a 50lb-80lb mono leader instead by tieing a bimini in the 20lb braid and attaching with a no-name,double uni,or albright special you suggested..

Used to catch cobes on the planks using a conventional with 25lb mono with 60lb shock leader,caught some big cobes with that combo over 70lb.. Now I'm using 20lb fireline,80lb mono on spinners with a 3oz jig and having good success with that as well.. So far up to 80lb with no knot problem.. I'm not casting 150yrds with it though.. Although if I were to upsize my spinner from 8' to say 10' medium heavy,would probably get that kind of distance with the size weight you suggested in your later post..

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.