Pier and Surf Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Only tool I've seen for help tying a real snell knot (nothing outside of the loops) is a small piece of tubing. After a bit of practice, I found the tube cumbersome and just tie the knot "bare handed" .... no tools required. Tie up to 80 lb. with 7-8 wraps, no problem. Just a couple little tricks to master, then its click, click. Never tied 100 lb ... or +.
Interested to see what pops up here, thanks.

·
Registered
2,609 Posts
I just put the tag end of the snell in a vice and put my finger in the bend in the hook and pull, sometimes I wet the leader.

Vice is probably the safest method for me.

If I am away from a vice I use needle nose pliers on the tag end, sometimes I just use my hold and pull hands, which is the way I was taught on the OBX piers back in the early 1980's.

99% of my snells are for Drum hooks and I use 100 pound test.

Over 130 pound test I use crimps and if I want to make a real short Drum rig, I crimp it.

I made up a couple hundred snells last winter and the vice sure makes it easy and less apt to get rubbed either by the hook or the hook barb.

I have heard folks complain about crimp strength, but remember the Oregon Inlet Fleet uses crimps for Tuna and Marlin and Swordfish.

·
Super Moderator
1,946 Posts
I use the Tie Fast Large Knot tying tool.. The only time I use it is to make a nail knot to nail knot connection, that's usually my Shock Leader to my Cannon Ball Drum Rig.. Everything else I tie by hand...

There are two method I use to Snell hooks..... Note You will not be bale to Snell circles with the tool

YouTube has over 100 videos to instruct you how to do it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Has anybody tried this.
I use a piece of 1/2" PVC screwed into a small piece of wood. Then I secure it to my bench.
I tie my circle hooks, thru eye, wrap around 8 X. then add 1 small drop of Crazy glue or Gorilla grip glue.
Pull for about 45 seconds until glue sets. Then I hang on a coat hanger until I'm ready to finish the end knot.
I've bought many River rigs. They are great at times. The only problem I have with them is the hook sizes. Too many for the available fish.
Doing it this way I can make my snelled hooks & install on my Imitation River Rigs (Flour. Rigs without hooks, just loops). Depending on the fish that are biting.
Maybe I'm nuts. Any comments? Haven't had any break offs using this method.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts