Pier and Surf Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All

I have been tying the rigs from my previous thread and all seems to be going well. That said - I am not the best at getting the length of each rig accurate and struggle trying to get one shorter than 8" in length (from hook to barrel swivel).

I could keep practicing (and will) but wondered if there was a knot I can tie as a stopper so that my beads and weight slider behind them do not go all the way up to the hook without losing line strength? I would prefer not to use some type of crimp based on the discussion before about using the least amount of metal possible but have seen this method used on a lot of rigs as Bass Pro. This way - I can keep tying 12" rigs and just put a knot where I want the weight to rest and control the length the hook extends from there accurately.

Thank you for any advice.

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
what kind of rig are you tying? for a fish finder rig, the bead and weight should be ABOVE the swivel, not below on the hook side.

also, you can make rigs as short as you want (literally as short as 1/2" if you desire) by learning to reverse snell.

there's a couple threads in the bible by AtlantaKing:
http://www.pierandsurf.com/fishing-forum/showthread.php?35769-Hook-Snell
http://www.pierandsurf.com/fishing-...1122-Snelling-a-hook-(or-two-or-a-half-dozen)

i don't personally use a knot tool or anything to snell, but it makes it easier for some people. i reverse snell like the second thread, but in reverse (in effect, swap the tag and standing ends) and i can snell a hook exactly where i want it for a FF rig.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the quick reply.

I am basically looking to do a fish finder that has a max and min run of line. Max run is the length of the leader itself. Min run would be wherever I put this knot.

I was reading the pier fishing thread that had an image of the drum rig setup with a very short leader and it sounded like in some cases you want to control how much line is given out when a fish takes the hook and allow the weight to naturally set the hook for you.

I may be interpreting the comments though.

If there is never a need to control the maximum run of line on a fish finder then I can learn the reverse smell. Ironically enough - that has been the easiest knot for me to control this far. The uni is all over the place and I can only get within 3 inches of my goal location at best.

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
the weight runs from the swivel up to the shock knot. (if you aren't running a shock leader, and are tying your FF directly to your running line, then you won't have this knot to stop the weight from running up the line.) however, if you are trying to come up with a way to stop it, then you may as well go ahead and tie on a shock leader. you're going to suffer the same "consequence" of having an extra knot, even if that extra knot is just a stopper. the only alternative to this that i could think of would be to make a bobber stop nail knot out of like 30# mono instead of thread, and use that as your upper stop.

if you're fishing off a pier, then gravity is going to solve these problems for you. using the weight to set the hook on a fish isn't really going to work unless it's heavy enough to load the rod, which it's not going to be unless you're yakking out. (shark guys use heavy claw weights that load the rod while it sits in the stake, then when the fish takes the bait it lifts the weight off the bottom, and the rod sets the hook. but, this doesn't work unless the weight is heavy enough to put a static load on the rod.)

i'm not positive that i understand your issue. a drawing may help.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Your interpretation was spot on - I had not considered the shock knot as serving that purpose.

So I just need to work on tying shorter rigs now. I will try the reverse snell.

Thanks for the quick response.

·
Registered
5,784 Posts
Could just use a cannonball rig.

If you can't tie it short enough you can always crimp a 1-2" drum rig easily if that's what you want. Doesn't have to be knots. I can't imagine a drum that would care.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Another option is to tie a "cannonball rig". On that rig, you leave your hook leader long (like 24"" and put the weight slider on this leader) with a swivel at the top. It is perfectly ok (and ideal) that the weight ends up all the way at the hook. That creates the most aerodynamic package during flight. DD did some tests with this sitting in the wash and described the weight sinking into the sand with the bait sitting up like a "lollipop". Otherwise, a standard FF rig with really short leader is what you want with sinker slider and bead riding on the shock leader.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts