Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a question for you guys? Have you ever used or do you own knot tieing tool? With my eyesight getting worse, manufacturers making the eyes on (especially sz 1 - 6 circle) hooks so small and cold weather...I decided to break down and buy one. I looked at the TyePro and the one at Cabelas. I broke down and got the EZtie. Anyone ever use it?

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
Never tried a knot tying tool but seen plenty of ads. Seems like a good idea but besides threading the eye on small jig heads, never had a problem tying knots.

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
For what type of knots? I have a bobbin for tying fg knots. Makes it really easy to tie.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Snelling small hooks or tieing two lines together. I only use snell hooks 2 different ways and only use 2-3 knots for everything else (clinch, unis...hitch). I need to learn a few more just for the heck of it :cool: That hitch looks like it would be a pain if working with stiff or heavy mono (20 turns?!?)...it did look really skinny. I'm sure you couldn't do the 20 turns with the braid and lock it with 2 mono hitch knots?

Knots aren't bad if it's not cold or wet...the line is cooperating/not too stiff or it's not dark. That TyePro may help with threading the eyes, but it's 15 bucks. Might be worth it for the fumbling and frustration I have to go through. It takes me some time for me to use a Uni to tie two lines together and you have to use a decent amount of line on either side in addition to needing some "work space." Sometimes my braid will cut the mono...or they won't cinch good. Pain in the butt. I'm really hoping the tool works really well. Looked like it took a few seconds to knock a knot out.

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
I use the uni to uni as well for connecting braid to mono and never had a problem tying or cutting line. Not using anything special...Power Pro and cheapo Omniflex. But just using a short leader and not one that needs to go through the guides.

·
Registered
5,640 Posts
I use the large Tie Fast tool for snells and nail knots in heavy mono. Fast, easy, never had one fail. Worth it to me if it's the difference in a good knot and a mediocre knot in heavy mono.

Even tied some rigs on the pier in cold weather waiting on a drum bite.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I've never really used a "shock leader," but I've been trying to up my game :) (man I had all kinds of errors in the post above - LOL).

I could do the FG on my 2500 and smaller reels. I've been playing with the 8 strand braids (10-16lb) on those and the mono is usually pretty light....up to 2 times the lb test. That FG knot will probably work great.

The issue of braid to mono "knot breaks" come on my 3000-4000 sized reels where I'm doing usually 20 or 30 lb braid to 20 thru 40lb mono. These reels are attached to 7 to 11 foot rods for saltwater and I'm slingin' for distance....up to a 4oz sinker or 5oz lure. Basically, any sized fish, toothy or not,...plus the weight/force of my rig being casted...that mono has to hold up! Sometimes I'll tie a braid to mono knot 3 times before it takes. Even super wet, the braid will cut the mono while pulling the knot. Frustrating. AND!...when I get them done I can (sometimes) hear that giant knot whizzin' through my guides and slowin' my cast down :eek: It's worse on my 5000 - 8000 sized reels with the heavier lined uni knots.

My High-Low rigs are usually "store bought" unless I'm wreck/deep sea fishing. Either way, that's where having to use a heavy lb test or really stiff line becomes a pain in the butt. Either it doesn't fit fhrough the eye or it's too stiff to wind without it springing or trying to unfoil.

I think the tool is gonna save me a lot of time and frustration because it will allow me to lay coils better and allow me to apply tension when cinching the knot. I'm really excited about it - LOL.

·
Registered
3,308 Posts
I have had two tie fast tools for several years and use them often. Love them especially since at my age, the eyes are usually the second thing to go!

·
Registered
424 Posts
I got the tie knot tool and could not get it to work doing flourocarbin to braid. When I pull to cinch the knot it just slides off the braid. Maybe mono is fine but not braid. Of course operator error is possibe if someone tells me it worked with braid for them.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I got the tie knot tool and could not get it to work doing flourocarbin to braid. When I pull to cinch the knot it just slides off the braid. Maybe mono is fine but not braid. Of course operator error is possibe if someone tells me it worked with braid for them.
Mine finally showed up, no directions on how to use the tool to tie a single knot - WTbleep?!?

·
Registered
424 Posts
youtube how to do it, very simple. If you get it to work with braid please let me know and I will try again. I tried to send mine back and they said just keep it after crediting my account.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts