Pier and Surf Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm about to mag out my first sx. Is a knobby practical for fishing purposes or just mainly for tourney casting? I bought a bunch of magnets, but I'm just wondering if it's worth the extra effort to knob it out or just go static.

Also, not having had it apart yet I was wondering if anyone could tell me if the internal face of the spool is magnetic??? I realize that where you place the mags on the outer reel housing there has to be some type of media (i.e. half moon piece of metal, washer, etc.) for the magnet to stick to. But if the spool is made out of the same material how do the magnets actually slow down the spool? I'm sure this question has been addressed many times before, but if someone could humor me with explaining this again I would appreciate it, I'm just getting into heavin' seriously and still have a lot lot learn.

Thanks!

-Ryan

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
There is nothing in the Avets that is magnetic. Eiter Stainless steel, or aluminum. In order to get a good understanding of how the breaking works do a search on this forum and the distance casting forum. It has been explained in so many ways that either a joe blow fisherman can undersatand or a nasa Engineer can understand. flip through until you find the one that you can make sense out of.

I like the knobby mag on my MXL but it really does not give me much more controlability then the static. I suggest starting off with a static mag and fish it hard for a season. THe knobby is perminant so you need to make sure you will like it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Answer to my own question

This was brought to my attention via my roommate:

The other type of cast braking system is the magnetic cast control. The mechanics behind this is difficult to understand unless you have some background in physics. But basically it entails creating what is called an eddy current by use of a non-magnetic metal revolving around a magnet (ie aluminum). In the case of a fishing reel, the spool is the one made of the non-magnetic metal and a magnet is positioned on the side plate (usually at an adjustable distance from the spool). The faster the spool revolves around the magnet, the stronger the eddy current gets. It is this eddy current that causes the braking effect to the spool. As the spool slows down, the eddy current weakens. As I stated earlier, the distance that the magnet is from the spool is usually adjustable. The closer the magnet is to the spool, the stronger it will be at slower revolutions. Just like in the VBS or similar systems, every angler will have to adjust this to adapt to their casting skill.

Does this about sum it up???

Thanks

-Ryan

·
Registered
45 Posts
That's the way that I understand it. I static magged my SX a little while ago, and wondered if I would be happy about the lack of adjustability of it. You can add or take away magnets, or change sizes of them to make a difference. I just got done fishing the reel in the OBX for a week and was impressed overall. I won't be knobby magging it after my experience, and I was throwing into a stiff head wind much of the time. Only down side was that I caught all three of my drum on my other setup.

·
Registered
263 Posts
There is nothing in the Avets that is magnetic. Eiter Stainless steel, or aluminum. In order to get a good understanding of how the breaking works do a search on this forum and the distance casting forum. It has been explained in so many ways that either a joe blow fisherman can undersatand or a nasa Engineer can understand. flip through until you find the one that you can make sense out of.

I like the knobby mag on my MXL but it really does not give me much more controlability then the static. I suggest starting off with a static mag and fish it hard for a season. THe knobby is perminant so you need to make sure you will like it.
What he said.

Do what you want, they're tanks, just not as easy to reach with as other reels out there imo. It boils down to a chevy/ford, diesel/gas, Nat. Light/Bud kind of thing.

·
Registered
541 Posts
One little correction on the eddy current braking. There just has to be reletive motion between a magnetic field and any electically conductive material. Magnetic or non-magnetic makes no difference. You are basically creating a generator.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts