Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There are some Cottages available, but if ya'll are going to get something we gotta' get going. To get something that will sleep 10 folks you are looking at around $800 and you have to rent it for the week. So, if this looks like something you guys are interested in maybe C Dog can put the package together and head things up.
I see some Stripers were caught in Kitty Hawk, these aren't the fish we are looking for, ours will be bigger and have a NJ on their tails.

PS I got the bait thing taken care of.

·
Registered
8,022 Posts
Wilber thanks for th info. Good news on th bait too.

Alright boys an girls we need to know how many are interested in th cottage deal so we can make a decision as to whether its a go or not.

OK I'm in who else?

Cdog
The Rhondel
Kenmefish

·
Registered
2,630 Posts
As long as it isn't me and Cdog splittin it two ways ,I'll throw in with you varmits....the R

·
Registered
69 Posts
food for thought

I would like to go but I think a better weekend could be found. See the attached article.

Tourism gets lift in N. Carolina
Hotel vacancies hard to find as centennial of the Wright brothers' historic flight nears
BY ANDREW PETKOFSKY
TIMES-DISPATCH STAFF WRITER
Sunday, November 9, 2003

As the 100th birthday of Wilbur and Orville Wright's historic first airplane ride at Kitty Hawk approaches, the hotel and tourism business in eastern North Carolina is taking flight.

Virtually no vacancies remain at hotels on the Outer Banks from Corolla south to Hatteras for the nights immediately adjacent to the Dec. 17 centennial, and even rental cottages and condos are fast selling out, tourism officials said last week.

The demand for rooms, apparently as high as on a July 4 weekend when the weather is lovely, comes in spite of many hotels having imposed multinight minimum stays of up to a week and having raised their rates far above the levels that are usual in the mid-December offseason.

Even in Elizabeth City, on the North Carolina mainland nearly an hour and a half away from Kitty Hawk, some motels had sold out by last week for the nights around Dec. 17. One motel that was offering rooms in mid-November for $75 a night had only a few rooms left for the nights of Dec. 16 and 17 - at a rate of $195.95 per night.

"The demand is huge," said Shannon Kinser, marketing manager for the Currituck County Chamber of Commerce. "This is certainly unusual."

It is also an indication that the First Flight Centennial Celebration planned at the Wright Brothers National Memorial in Kitty Hawk has captured the imagination of a wide cross-section of people who are history buffs or otherwise qualify as consumers in the tourism market.

"It looks like we have people from every state coming and 16 different countries," said Quinn Capps, spokeswoman for the Outer Banks Visitors Bureau.

A partnership of federal and state agencies, along with private sponsors, is gear- ing up for six days of festivities, from Dec. 12 to Dec. 17. The week will include exhibits, big-name entertainment by such luminaries as the Beach Boys, the Temptations and Lee Greenwood, speeches and a climactic attempt on Dec. 17 to re-create the Wrights' successful flight in 1903 of the first powered, piloted airplane.

Actor John Travolta will serve as master of ceremonies on the centennial day and fly his own Boeing 707 in a 100-plane group scheduled to pass over the memorial site.

Organizers made available 35,000 tickets per day at $10 each, and tickets for the Dec. 17 centennial day have been sold out for weeks.

More than 150,000 tickets have been sold so far, but there are still tickets available for all the other days. Tickets are free for Dec. 12, whose theme is inspiring children and young people.

With all the interest, demand for accommodations and potential traffic, state and federal officials are bringing the Outer Banks its first public-transportation system, which is designed to bring visitors to the festivities from remote parking areas.

Kim Sawyer, program administrator for the North Carolina First Flight Centennial Commission, said the huge public interest poses some logistical challenges but no large concern. She pointed out that the Outer Banks is host to 250,000 people per week during the summer tourist season.

"The industry here is tourism, so the people here will be prepared for what is taking place."

Capps, the visitors bureau spokeswoman, said the biggest challenge is not the overall number of people, but accommodating an event that will draw as many as 42,000 people at a time, the ticketed guests plus workers, volunteers, media and VIPS, to the Wright National Memorial.

While hotel and motel rooms were pretty much gone, Capps said some rental cottages still remained available late in the week.

Kinser joked that she is tempted to rent out her year-round home, which is in Kitty Hawk, for the centennial week and head someplace less crowded.

"There's going to be a whole lot of people," she said.

·
Registered
2,630 Posts
We get the cottage for the week of12/7-12/14(Sun)...just preceding the event.Doubt they will be feeshen....the R

·
Registered
8,022 Posts
All th more reason for us to decide what we are doing ASAP. If we get th cottage for th week we can avoid alot of th traffic traveling down th beach road if we can get a place close to MP4. Besides this was Wilbers dream that decided th time not us. :D

·
Premium Member
10,102 Posts
Wilber said:

I see some Stripers were caught in Kitty Hawk, these aren't the fish we are looking for, ours will be bigger and have a NJ on their tails.
Wilber,I was informed today a 36"er,they said was about 20lbs was caught at my "secret spot"(uno :D ) I dont' know if it had NJ on the tail,but that's getting up to the size I like....;)

·
Registered
830 Posts
I'll chip in. I may not be able to get off for the week, but if we can get 10 people, $80 is cheap enough for me to stay a couple days. This partime job I got is starting to put a hurting on my fishing time. I might have to tell them to shove it.

·
Registered
8,022 Posts
Ok heres th latest list I had from th original thread. Th * means you are OK with th cottage. BTW I might bring Budlight which would provide another *.

Wilber- Has his own place
Th rhondel-*
1mocast- day trip
Cdog-*
chest2head&glassy- day trip
Topsailbum
FL Fisherman
Hat80
Macman
Kajun- day trip
DD (a call away)
Kenmefish-*
Budlight (poss)

·
Registered
251 Posts
sorry guys

I'm gonna be on a day trip only adventure...I'm off both jobs Friday and Saturday, but I must return to the grind on Sunday @ noon.

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
Hey Cdog,

Myself, FL Fisherman and I think Anthony will be coming with us. The repairs on my house in Rodanthe are going real slow, so we may be up for the house. Just don't know yet and won't until the 1st of Dec. What will the deadline be? Hell with all the people we may need two places. :) ...Tightlines

·
Registered
8,022 Posts
Hat, most of th Va boys are going to do a day trip. Dosen't look like we are gonna have enuff for a cottage.(Need 10 to make it affordable). Kenmefish is getting a timeshare for th week that would sleep 6 maybe more in sleeping bags but thats up to Ken since its his place.

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
I will try and make it to this event. I've never fished the point before so you guys are gonna have to show me what to do. I'm still waiting to hear about taking dec.12 off but I should be able to.

·
Registered
8,022 Posts
Macman, good deal thanks for th reply.

Hat80, it will all work out an we will get some bigguns!:cool:

Anthony, hope ya can make it. Don't think you will have any problem figureing out th fishing down there.Looking foward to meeting all th P&Sers. :)

·
Registered
830 Posts
Hat, you and your crowd are welcome to stay at the timeshare. I will be by myself except for c-dog a couple days.
Looking forward to meeting some more P&Sers and maybe catching some fish to boot.
Also sounds like Wilber is having a cookout. We need to put some fish on the grill. I'll bring the grill, the warriors can catch the fish.

Later

Ken

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
Thanks Kenmefish,

We may need to take you up on the offer. I won't know for sure until the 1st of Dec. if the damages from Izzy, on my house in Rodanthe are all fixed yet.

They should be working on it as we speak but contractors out on the island are not known for their speed...LOL Thanks again my friend...Tightlines

1 - 20 of 20 Posts