Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have heard that the owner of Kitty Hawk Pier is not going to rebuild. Unfortunately it may be true because he hasn't really operated the pier to its full potential. All he is interested in is developing the property into high rise hotels and big rental cottages. The guy must be two sandwhiches short a picnic.:mad:

·
Super Moderator
10,102 Posts
Scales I have been fishing piers for close to 30yr now. I have steadily watched the decline.. "Back in the day",I really believe piers made money,but today,it's condos and big houses that make the money for developers. Truth be known,he probably is dealin with a full deck.. The shame of it all is that means piers are a "lost comodity".. :( Hopefully some developers will see potential in projects simular to the way Rodanthe operates a pier in conjuction with motels or condos. That way the pier is seen as an "added attraction" rather than just a "write off"....:cool:

·
Registered
911 Posts
Let me add my .02

The same thing happened with the Center Pier here in Carolina Beach... The "father" died, leaving the pier to his son whom on the choice of economics, favored a restraunt, and condo's too due too insurance on the pier and the cost of rebuilding almost every other year...He still holds a permit to rebuild(as there is still about 100 ft of pier to the high water mark),, but when asked? (if he'll ever rebuild) he said theres just not money in it anymore compared to what he's making running the condo/hotel, compared to what he was makin off the pier.. soon unless pier owners build like Mercers did (concrete) we'll see less and less piers to fish from in the coming years.... As owners cave into devolpers, and good business sense...

1 - 3 of 3 Posts