Pier and Surf Forum banner

Kitty Hawk Kill Devil Hills Fishing Report

5K views 12 replies 9 participants last post by  obxrules 
#1 ·
Have been fishing in the Kitty Hawk and Kill Devil Hills area from the surf. Trout, Trout and more Trout but all of them are in the 11'' to 12'' range still fun to catch. Have been a few keepers every morning and afternoon any where from 2 to 4 lbs. If you are in the area just find a deep hole your favorite soft plastic or mirrolure and you should catch fish.

#8 ·
I will be down friday thru sunday at the 3.5 mile post. Im thinking of across from the Black Pelican restraunt, by the avalon pier, or near the kitty hawk pier. Any opinions on these locations or suggestions would be appreciated.
Has anyone fished at night for trout? Just trying to figure out if it would be worth the try.

#9 ·
If you can find a pier/dock where lights shine directly on the water fish that spot with a lure that imitates a baitfish, the light shining on the water attracts baitfish which attracts trout. They bite well at night, maybe even better than the day, you just have to find the right spot.

#13 ·
I personally like fishing with a single lead head. Although double rigs work also. Just remember when there is little to no current go with the lightest jig head you can fish with. My go to is 1/4 ounce and I like red or orange. I like most people have a few color grubs (soft plastics) that are my go to colors. I have caught plenty of 2 to 4 lb fish using this method. My advice would be in doubt fish slow and pay special attention to the last 8 to 10 feet from the shore. Many people cast out far jig real slow and then crank real fast the last 10 feet to cast again. I cast out about 15 to 20 feet find where the trout are (usually close to shore) and then concentrate on that area. If there is a current running close to shore cast out and then let the jig run in the current keeping the line tight and following the jig with the tip of the rod. Every so often give the rod tip a slight twitch and wait for the hit. Hope this helps and good luck hopefully the big trout will show up soon.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.