Pier and Surf Forum banner

Kite Fishing

883 views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  obxtraveler 
#1 ·
Does anybody have any experience

with this system, in the surf ?

I've been kicking this idea around since last winter, but can't find much info about using a kite from the beach.

Boaters have been using them for some time, and the Austrailians use large kites to tow trotlines off the beach.

It seems to me that with a favorable wind, a kite could take a "pin rig" or even a bottom rig out beyond casting range.

I'm particularly interested in trying this out on the shallow, Northern beaches (Corolla) of the OBX.

I don't believe there are many "original" ideas. So somebody is probably already doing this, OR knows why it won't work.

Now that the "rental" season is over, I'll be staying at the beach house until the end of October. So if you see an old fool on the beach, flying a kite on a 30# trolling rod. Don't point and laugh, that's rude.

Any input is welcome. Information is power.

See less See more
#2 ·
smoothbore

I have racked my brain trying to come up with an idea. I have been fishing obx since the 60's,remember them? I have been real tempted to try kite fishing,but too selfish with my fishing time to experiment with it. I have also wondered about modifying a skeet thrower,trying a bow & arrow rig,etc. Old arthur is settling in,and I cant heave that bait out there like I used to.
I will be down there in Duck from the 12th to the 21st of Sept.,at sound & sea village.I dont particularly like to fish at Duck(prefer the south beaches )but I will be fishing there some,so If you want to try,we can be TWO old fools out there.:rolleyes:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.