Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, its a new year, time to start a new thread.

Thanks for the reminder to check out the photo gallery. I did forget. Nice fish!

On to the question.

What were you fishing with that night we fished together? You said it was light and sensitive.

Was it just a light rod? Were you using any of the "super" lines?

·
Registered
291 Posts
I had a light action ugly stick with a 4400 penn reel. This rod is like ultra light. I was using berkly 10 lb test also. I dont reccomend that line though. Its terrible. I had one the next pop off because the line was so worn down after 1 day of fishing. I have heard spider wire is really good though and i am going to try it out soon. O yea davb what i figured out that increases your catch by a lot is to cut a line down an uncle josh pork rind. If the rind is 5 inches cut a 4 inch line. This way in the water the pork rind moves a lot. I think the fish liked it because my bucktails ledhead didnt even have a scratch while i think i had maybe 5 strands of hair left on the bucktail.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hmmm. You're saying to take a 5" pork rind and cut the last 4" of it in half, right?

Is that your regular trailer or is that a cold water technique?

And thanks for sharing the info!

·
Registered
291 Posts
Davb, go to www.unclejosh.com and then go to catalog. The pork rind i use is the striper sea strip. White bucktail with a white porkrind or a yellow one works best for me. Look under that picture and you will see a split tail pork rind. I havent found any of those at tackle shops so i make my own adjustments. If you find those i would probably get those instead. Lighthouse tackle sells a lot of uncle josh porkrinds. The best part about them is there durable. One bait will last you a trip or two depending on if it drys up or not.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
fishnkid, the spider wire is good stuff, its more expensive, but if you have to replace your line less its worth it.it has almost no strech so when you get a hit you feel it instantly, I like to combine it w/ a thin stiff rod, but thats just me. with the wire I have been in a school of rock and looked at the line next to the lure it was all chewed up and hangin on by a thread, but the action was too hot to stop and retry, and you know what it never broke .. the stuff is real thin and real srtong ..I like it!

·
Registered
291 Posts
Dont get berkley 10 lb test. Terrible. I had my drag perfectly set and everything, it might of been even a little to loose and i lost a nice striper. After the am trip i grabbed my line and pulled on it to see if it would still work and it snapped. It was perfectly fine the night before.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts