Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've looked other places and was wondering if anyone can give a rundown on how the fishing was this past year for King Mackerel and Cobia

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
Can't speak for anywhere else, but Cherry Grove pier(SC) had good catches of kings April 25-May 10. Cobia were moderate about two weeks before Memorial Day. Kings heated up againg all through September and early October. During the unusually warm period in November a few late kings were caught but no big runs.

·
Registered
568 Posts
In the North Fla area from the Georgia line, south to Mantanzas Inlet the cobia bite was non existent. We only had a few Manta rays even spotted.
The Kingfish bite was one of the worst years ever. They did have a 900+ boat tournament in mid July with the big fish at 45 lbs.It was rumoured that most all the the big kings were caught in the Canaveral area. So if you have a big Fountain with triple 250's on it, it wasn't any problem. LOL We did have some small kings caught but not many of the 40+ lb that we like.Most were under 20 lbs. Iur Spanish Mackeral run never happened either.
Our Jacksonville Beach pier was closed down all year and the dredging in the St Augustine area left two feet of water at high tide on the end of the pier.
The thermocline really messed fishing up until late Sept when the water got into the 70's for about 6 weeks.We had about 5 weeks of Tarpoon before the big ones left. The Redfish run in 2002 must have been the best year in memory but for 2003 their were scattered reports of them caught from the beach.
Some of the divers offshore of Jacksonville saw large schools of Reds stacked up in deep water but they didn't want to eat.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
they did pretty good at ocean crest, sharkbite could tell more about that, and they did pretty well at apache in myrtle, i kknow one guy got 3, can't remember his board name though, he is in one of the galllery's

·
Registered
285 Posts
I think there was a total of 30+ kings caught this year off of ocean crest. can't remember the exact amount. most of them were caught in the spring, dunno what happend to the fall run, it was pretty much nonexsistant. There was also 5 or 6 cobia caught off their with quite a few more lost at the pier.

Tight Lines

Tim

·
Registered
194 Posts
Where is Ocean Crest

Sharkbite:

Where exactly is Ocean Crest, I always heard there was good fishing their, but I have no idea where it is..

Harrison's Pier report:
~ Fishing was moderate at times, other times it was slow, very slow. Croakers and spot were caught with an ocassional bluefish. Two Cobias were pulled up this year, average size, but nothing amazeing. One black drum was hooked by a bottom fisherman that was "estimated" at 55 inches, but after an elbow bruising fight the fish prevailed and managed to spool the fisherman. No big sharks this summer, but a few eating size ones were caught. Flounder fishing was pretty good towards the end of the summer with a couple keepers averaging everyday.

Fred

·
Registered
285 Posts
Ocean crest pier is on oak island, NC. It's been pretty much the only pier i've fished this year because of the friendly folks and very reasonable rates. $12 for king fishing day pass (4 rods)- or I think it's $7 for bottom fishing (2 rods)

the address for the pier is 1409 East Beach Dr
Oak Island, NC 28465-6557

Tight Lines

Tim

·
Registered
107 Posts
Not much on kings up here in Va but it seemed like everytime i went cobia fishin it was always "a day late and a dollar short" as in they might have caught one the day before or week before i got down to the pier. But all in all not much of anything this year.

·
Registered
3,387 Posts
From Hatteras North to the Chesapeake, The eastern piers and beaches Missed the Cobia run since the water temps were cool and the fish stayed off shore during their migration. And the weather did not help the Kings from the piers as well since the water was much cooler than normal.
In a word not a good year and the Chesapeake lost the 2 big Cobia piers to Isabel.

·
Registered
3,744 Posts
I believe 2 Cobia were landed as far north as PLO pier this year. From what I have talked to others this is not uncommon, especially when we had the drought for so long.

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
king rig or float rig with live fish.

and a big ass rod with good line and a long braid leader. those fish don't give easy, and when they get to the pier, be glad for the leader because they wrap around one of the legs and pull hard.

·
Registered
3,744 Posts
something with some backbone my friend ;)

·
Registered
107 Posts
We use 8nbait for cobes too with a big ol' piece of bunker on an 8/0 or 9/0 gamakatsu you want a high quality hook because a cobe has plates in his mouth and he'll break a cheaper hook in a second. As for my usual cobia setup i have a Penn senator 6/0 which is a lil big but its more of a status symbol then anything for fishin really but i use that and a big spinning rod for pin riggin and then ive got a Tica and a home made big a$$ heaver that i use with the 8nbaits. If you need anymore info on cobe fishin i know a bit more but its a lot to post and im sure a few otther people on here fish for them as well.

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
Orest

Check out my setup in "Lines?" thread. That is minimum for cobia, at least the ones I catch.

A big a$$ rod is a heavy boat rod. Think 30-80 lb class rods. Also helps to have all rollers on convetional.

·
Registered
5,963 Posts
Thanks for all the info.

I think someday I like to try it . Until then I'll have to stick with what my current equipment can handle.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts