Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good day all

I was wonder I've read about how to fish for King Fish from a pier and I've seen what to do and how to do it, but my question is are there many line tangle while fishing. When we fish live bait from a boat line tangles are a common thing and you guys are fishing with twice as many lines.

·
Registered
4,457 Posts
I've never done the king fishing thing, but that is the reason for the heaver rod. It acts as an anchor. The line with the live fish is clipped to the anchor so it is limited to the path of the anchor line.

The tangle problem would be when reeling one in. But, from what I've read, the king fishing folks know to reel their stuff in when someone hooks up.

·
Registered
500 Posts
What happpens when there is a fish on is everyone mans their rod and does what is needed to help land the fish, ie. bring in your line, lift your rod, lower your rod, etc. This is a big reason why you should not leave your rig unattended while you are fishing for bait elsewhere on the pier or using the head. You may come back to a cut line and "Sorry, we didn't know where you were." All part of pier etiquette.

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It must be fun if more that one person has a fish on in the pictures that I've seen there is at least 5 or more people fishing.

·
Registered
668 Posts
its great when a fish is on. most of the guys know each other and will go as far as to bring up their bait and cut their lines to keep a hook up from being lost. but the real fun comes in when a school of jacks come thru and 2 or 3 guys hook up. it can get very interesting. but most of the king riggers are a great bunch of guys and are always willing to help out the newfers. all you have to do is ask. and it is always better to ask before throwing out if your not sure what your doing. when there are 20 or more rigs on the end of the pier you don't want to be throwing over someone. my self i'm always willing to give advise and help you get set up. see you at kitty hawk in april.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts